Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12800CL9T-6GBNQ showing as 4GB with 6GB installed

I have a new computer that I built with the following 6GB set installed:

G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ - Retail

The motherboard is a GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard.

The motherboard recognizes 6GB if I reseat the memory, but won't on a subsequent restart. It happens every time. I've gone through the threads on the forum for changing timing, voltage, etc. but it doesn't seem to help. With the 6Gb installed I receive crashes over time too, which I'm assuming is due to some problem with the RAM.

I've run memtest a number of times trying to isolate the problem. I ran it on one stick at a time, in different slots, but everything came out fine.

What should I do?

Are you running a 32 or 64 bit OS? 32 will only see up to 4GB. DO you have the latest BIOS? Could you post your BIOS Settings?

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Yes, I'm running 64bit Windows 7. 6GB appears if I re-seat the memory, then on restart goes back to 4GB. I have updated to the most current F5 bios with the same results.

Here's my current bios settings.

I have a Intel Core i7 930 with a CoolerMaster V8 installed.

Bios

CPU Clock Ratio - 21X
      CPU Freq - 2.8 GHz
      QPI Clock Ratio - Auto
      QPI Link Speed - 4.8 GHz
      Base Clock Control - Disabled
      Performance Enh. - Turbo
      XMP - Disabled
      System Mem Multiplier - Auto
      Mem Freq - 1066
      DRAM Timing Selectable - Quick
      Profile DDR Voltage - 1.5V
      Profile QPI Voltage - 1.15V

CAS Latency Time - 9
      tRCD - 9
      tRP -9
      tRAS - 9
      CMD - 1

CPU V Core - Auto
      QPI/VTT Voltage - Auto
      IOH Core - Auto

Comment

I believe I fixed the problem by re-seating the CPU. It took two hours, but after about five or six restarts it still shows 6GB.

Do you have any recommendations for better performance based on my bios settings?

Comment

Nevermind it's back to doing it after letting the computer sit for a couple hours. Should I return the memory?

Comment

I have an older Gigabyte EX58-UD3R with a very similar situation as you.

My thread: http://gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=4794

It seems as if the latest bios for my board with "Enhanced memory capability" is counter-intuitively screwing something up. You would think that there'd be less of a problem using newer BIOS, but that wasn't the case for me. I reverted to an old BIOS without the "Enhanced memory capability" and it worked perfectly.

If you check the Gigabyte website http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...ver=#anchor_os , you can try using F2 bios; make sure to clear all settings and use XMP profile on your RAM if it is available. I see that you are running a 1T command rate, try setting to 2T. I have a kit of your RAM in another one of my computers and it runs great at "1600 MHz" 8-8-8-24 2T @ 1.56V.

This "fix" solved my intermittent BSOD and RAM recognition problem. I haven't found any sort of information on the web related to this issue. Although this isn't the most comfortable fix, if you're out of options this is probably the only thing left to try. I hope it goes well for you! If this works for you, Gigabyte and G.Skill probably need to work together to fix compatibility issues that were introduced in the latest BIOS revisions.

Also: I noticed a similar trend in other posts about the problem of 4GB out of 6GB recognized. This is on a variety of different boards with people using 64-bit OS. Any tech support have additional insight on this?
            Last edited by eyan; 04-11-2010, 07:35 PM.

Comment

jasonboom,

Simply send those in for new replacements.

The reasons for this issue may vary, so we take it as a case to case basis.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

Eyan,

I'm having a very similiar problem on the Gigabyte X58A-UD3R. On cold boot it sees 4 GB but if I do a reboot right after post it sees 6gb. The system is very stable. I'm pulling my hair out.

So I'm going to try the old bios F1 and F2 and see if that fixes it. I'll report back here.

Hard to try a cold boot. Have to wait for everything to cool down. Weird problem. Never seen this before.

Comment

Replacements fixed my problem

I received my replacements and they fixed the problem completely. Thanks for the great support!

Comment

Fantastic, thank you for you cooperation. Enjoy!

Thank you
                    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                    X