• Continuous reboots when using F3-10600CL9D-4GBNT with ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO

Hi,

I just put together a system with the following specs:

Motherboard: ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
    CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 250
    Memory: G.Skill F3-10600CL9D-4GBNT PC3-10600 DDR3-2GBx2
    HDD: Seagate 500GB 7200.12 HDD
    Case: Antec NSK4480B-II
    BIOS: latest version (M4A785TD-V EVO BIOS 0501)

Now, if i leave the PC off for more than say 5 hours and then turn the PC on again, it would go through the normal boot routine until it boots into Windows. Just after it finishes loading the Antivirus software (or around that time), I would get some memory access related error, the Blue Screen Of Death and then a reboot. It will continue to reboot endlessly (going through a similar boot up routine each time) until I physically switch off the PC using the power button. If I then turn the PC on, it would boot up fine. If I was to reboot (or turn off the PC and turn it on again), it will still be fine. However, it was leave the PC off for more than a few hours, i would get the same symptoms as described above. This is repeatable and happens every time I boot up after leaving the PC off for a period of time. On each time, I would have to physically shut down the PC to end the reboot cycle.

The BSOD error message seems to differ on each reboot. e.g. APC_INDEX_MISMATCH, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, PFN_LIST_CORRUPT etc. However, the same set of BSOD error messages seem to appear each time I turn the PC on after a period of shutdown.

I initially left everything in the BIOS at it's default value, except changing the SATA setting from IDE to AHCI for the HDD. The memory settings were left to Auto (Default). I then tried following changes:

1. Set DRAM frequency to 667Mhz, memory timings to 9-9-9-24 and the voltage to 1.5V.
    2. Set DRAM frequency to 533Mhz, memory timings to Auto.
    3. Set DRAM frequency to 533Mhz, memory timings to 7-7-7-20.

I got the same results (ie. the endless reboots after a few hrs of leaving the PC off) on each of the above 3 settings. I am not able to change the Command Rate. The motherboard sets it to 1T.

Is there a specific memory setting I should be using with this memory and motherboard? Any help would be appreciated.

changing SATA mode from IDE to AHCI?
    it's might be the reason
    would you like to set SATA mode back to IDE?
    Or the system would not recognize the HDD in correct way
    thanks

G.S

Comment

I loaded the default settings for the BIOS (where the SATA mode is set to IDE) and tested it again. It doesn't look like it has fixed the problem. I am still getting the same symptoms.

Comment

I have also tried unplugging the RAM modules from the black slots and plugging them into the blue slots, but am still getting the BSOD (this time a MEMORY_MANAGEMENT error) and reboot after starting up the PC after 6 hours of shutdown. Like before the endless reboots would continue until i manually power down the machine using the power switch on the computer case. When i turn the PC on again, it starts up fine. This happens every time after an extended period (6+ hours) of shutdown.

Comment

Would you like to install only one stickto see if this issue still exists?
          thanks

G.S

Comment

Ok, with only one stick, the issue seem to have gone away. I will now attempt to test it on the other stick.

Comment

The problem reappears with the second RAM stick. When i plugged the first RAM stick back in (and waited 6+ hrs before testing), the problem went away. So, it looks like the second RAM stick is faulty.

If I were to exchange these, should I get the same ones again? I know they're not listed in the Memory Compatible list for this motherboard, but on the G.Skill Product Web page, it says this model supports the AMD 785G chipset.

Comment

this item is compatible with AMD 785G chipset
                for the compatible list, there sre still some items under construction
                sorry for that

if you would like to RMA with us, please download the RMA form on our website, fill it out and email back to rma@gskill.com
                we'll issue you a RMA number and tell you the procedure in detail
                thanks

G.S

Comment

Ok, a bit of an update for anybody who's interested.

After my last post here, I brought the stick back to the vendor to see if I can have it RMA'ed through the vendor. They wouldn't do it unless they can test it first to prove that it was faulty. After about a week's worth of testing, they couldn't find anything wrong with it. When I asked if they had tested it under the same conditions (i.e. using the same motherboard), they said no as they don't have a spare motherboard of the same model for testing. Anyway, I decided to have it RMA'ed through G.Skill instead. After a couple of weeks, I was sent my replacement Memory Modules. I put these into the computer and got the same symptoms as the original memory modules i.e. the continuous reboots and one stick was faulty. I can't believe it, the exact same problems. What are the chances that both sets of memories (the original and the replacement) are faulty?

Anyway, I went out and bought another set of memory (Kingston DDR3 1333 4GB Kit - KVR1333D3N9K2/4G to be exact). Since putting them in, I have not had any problems with them at all. Now, I am stuck with useless (at least for this motherboard) G.Skill memory.

Unless I was unlucky and got faulty RAM on both occasions, I don't think this particular memory model (F3-10600CL9D-4GBNT) works well with this particular motherboard.

Comment

Hi Crow, Hi GSkill
                    I put together a somehow similar config as follow:
                    MB : Asus M4A785TD-V
                    CPU : AMD Athlon II X3 435
                    RAM: G.Skill F3-10600CL9D-2GBNQ
                    GPU : Sapphire HD 4850 512 Mo
                    Windows 7 64b
                    I got the exact same thing. As you stated, you resolved by getting you RAM from a competitor.
                    Until I do the same, I whish to ask GSkill if they have news and clues about how to resolve this annoying unstability issue between RAM and mobo.
                    Best regards,

Comment

Try increasing the HT Voltage to 1.40V.

Thank you
                      GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

As crow did, I swapped for another brand, and everything goes right for now.

Comment

I have the same Ram and the same problem, but not the same Mother board.

If any advise on this, you can answer on : http://gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=4097

Thank you for your support.

Comment

Working...
                          X