Erasing a Phoenix Pro w/o AHCI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Erasing a Phoenix Pro w/o AHCI

Is there any way to run a program such as HDDErase on the Phoenix Pro SSD without being able to set your drive to AHCI? I have a Asus P5N32-E which has a NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI that does not feature an AHCI mode.

Thanks,
    Jason

You can try the RAID mode, But do not really RAID your ssd. On the Intel chipset , RAID and AHCI use the same command , The Nvidia I'm not sure.

Comment

This is why I will not be purchasing any more products from G.Skill the support is terrible, and the forum responses are sparse compared to the kind of quickness you get at OCZ.

Comment

Bump, really could use an answer to this question. Someone please help.

Comment

Parted Magic as an alternative to HDDErase

I recently tried HDDErase on my 80GB Phoenix Pro but without any success. It wouldn't recognise the SSD installed on a SATA connector.

I solved the problem using Parted Magic 5.10 installed from a bootable USB drive created using UNetbootin. The SSD was set to Native IDE mode in BIOS and it worked perfectly.

You have to dig about once you have booted to Parted Magic but somewhere in there is an option to make a secure earse of the entire disk. The process is very quick but seems to work and made a big improvement to the read times of my SSD (average 147 MB/s increased to an average of 205 MB/s with Windows 7 x64 installed on the "reset" SSD).

P.S. You can find more detailed instructions on GSKILL forum here. Please note that although they say the SSD must be set to AHCI mode, I did it in IDE mode because I find it best to install Windows 7 in IDE mode then switch to AHCI mode to enable TRIM support. This might be a problem foir you because your SSD performance will degrade faster without TRIM support. Maybe you should take the oppourtunity to upgrade your MOBO so you can optimise the performance of your SSD?
          Last edited by Malaware; 02-20-2011, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Malaware View Post
            Maybe you should take the oppourtunity to upgrade your MOBO so you can optimise the performance of your SSD?
            Thanks for the helpful response. I had planned to upgrade and was about the pull the trigger on a new mobo/cpu/memory when the Sandy Bridge issue happened so now I'm forced to wait another month or so until the fixed motherboards are shipping.

Comment

Working...
            X