Guidance???? Or Just Plain Help???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guidance???? Or Just Plain Help???

I have an early 64 gig G.Skill SSD which has been running at least a year and a half or two years. No problems. Regular maintenance, wiper runs, etc.

The last few days my drive monitoring software has reported my "Disk Health" at 24%. It reports degraded Uncorrectable Sector Counts and Soft Error Read rates.

1. Is there anything I can do to refresh the SSD -- I do use it hard as my OS drive.

2. Is it getting to be time to replace it? Or do these numbers really say it is fixing to fail.

butch conner

P. S. -- Yes, I know I didn't really put in any "hard" numbers -- but I don't think they are important. What seems important to me is whether they really are indicators
    of impending problems.

bc

Hi butchconner,

for this storage, it is previous generation product.
    I don't know does secure erase work or not.
    you can try to use Magic parted tool.
    let me know the result.

Comment

one of my FM-25S2S-60GBP1 is showing the same thing also, and i havent even been using it. I've tried secure erase, and the msg is still there under SMART attribute.

Seriously from the days i bought these 2 drives all i had was problem, first the low raid0 performance, then being not able to flash to any firmware >2.1, now this relocated error crap showing up on one of the 2 drives that i haven't even used much, probably 1 day uptime on the drives at best.

Comment

Thank you for your responses. I looked up the software GSkill suggested and didn't see anything there I have not done with other software. I also have wiped, cleaned, formatted -- everything else I can think to do.

I am assuming that since it is talking about "Uncorrectable Sector Counts" that means that the disk is degrading -- which I did expect back when I bought it. And I knew I was stressing it by using it as a boot drive on a system used for gaming.

Unless somebody tells me better, I am just going to assume I have "wore it out" and retire it and get something better.

Mine has run fine the whole time. I get about 195-200 performance with normal maintenance. And it still is running the original firmware!!!!

But I am disappointed it has not lasted longer. Stuff I read at the time I bought it (for much more than people are paying for 64 gigs now!) suggested at least five years rather than the 1-1/2 years it has lasted.

Again, my thanks.

Rev. Butch Conner

Comment

Originally posted by butchconner View Post
          Thank you for your responses. I looked up the software GSkill suggested and didn't see anything there I have not done with other software. I also have wiped, cleaned, formatted -- everything else I can think to do.

I am assuming that since it is talking about "Uncorrectable Sector Counts" that means that the disk is degrading -- which I did expect back when I bought it. And I knew I was stressing it by using it as a boot drive on a system used for gaming.

Unless somebody tells me better, I am just going to assume I have "wore it out" and retire it and get something better.

Mine has run fine the whole time. I get about 195-200 performance with normal maintenance. And it still is running the original firmware!!!!

But I am disappointed it has not lasted longer. Stuff I read at the time I bought it (for much more than people are paying for 64 gigs now!) suggested at least five years rather than the 1-1/2 years it has lasted.

Again, my thanks.

Rev. Butch Conner
          Butch Conner if it has the same warranty as the ones sold today you should still have a year left on the warranty from g skill I would rma it and have them replace it.you probably paid twice what I paid for 120 ssd 3 weeks ago and let me tell you if anything goes bad with it g skill is going to replace it for the next three years.check the warranty on it you are letting them off to easy that's what warranty's are for.and you are right it should last longer than 1 or 2 years.USE THE WARRANTY IF IT STILL HAS ONE
          ASUS Rampage II Extreme▐ Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield ▐ ZALMAN CNPS9900ALED 120mm▐ G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) ▐ (1) G SKILL SNIPER 120 SSD (OS) (1) Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB (storage)▐ EVGA 01G-P3-1563-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti SuperClocked Video Card - 1GB, GDDR5, Overclocked ▐ Antec TPQ-850 850W Continuous Power ATX12V▐ COOLMASTER HAF 932 Case▐ WINDOWS 7 HOME 64

Comment

Thank you for the suggestion!! I guess with all the short and nonexistent warranties around today I just hadn't thought of that. I will check in to it -- again thanks.

Rev

Comment

Originally posted by butchconner View Post
              Thank you for the suggestion!! I guess with all the short and nonexistent warranties around today I just hadn't thought of that. I will check in to it -- again thanks.

Rev
              butchconner you are welcome. that drive you have has got to still have warranty. as soon as you find out if it does. get a rma form and send it back they owe you that much.
              ASUS Rampage II Extreme▐ Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield ▐ ZALMAN CNPS9900ALED 120mm▐ G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) ▐ (1) G SKILL SNIPER 120 SSD (OS) (1) Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB (storage)▐ EVGA 01G-P3-1563-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti SuperClocked Video Card - 1GB, GDDR5, Overclocked ▐ Antec TPQ-850 850W Continuous Power ATX12V▐ COOLMASTER HAF 932 Case▐ WINDOWS 7 HOME 64

Comment

Originally posted by codester View Post
                one of my FM-25S2S-60GBP1 is showing the same thing also, and i havent even been using it. I've tried secure erase, and the msg is still there under SMART attribute.

Seriously from the days i bought these 2 drives all i had was problem, first the low raid0 performance, then being not able to flash to any firmware >2.1, now this relocated error crap showing up on one of the 2 drives that i haven't even used much, probably 1 day uptime on the drives at best.
                codester if you still have warranty on that drive quit trying to fix it and send it back for a replacement you have had to much problems with the drive not to get it replaced.get a rma form and get it back to gskill.once we all start sending back for replacement they will start doing what they are supposed to do. fix there problems if I was you I would demand them to correct the problem or give you another drive.it's just like the toolbox they should have already paid sandforce for it .but they still drag there feet on it.you spent to much of your hard earn money and hard time trying to fix there problem. now let them have it back and get a replacement they owe you that much.rma it

Comment

Working...
                X