• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defective RAM or something else?

Hello there.
    MB: ASRock Extreme9 LGA-2011
    CPU: 3930k @ Stock Clocks
    RAM: 32/64GB Ripjaws Z

Back in December I bought a G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL10Q-32GBZL kit from newegg.ca and enjoyed its performance without flaw. Recently however I bought another identical kit to bring my total RAM up to 64GB as to avoid needing to use a scratch disc and the newest kit is simply not working properly.

When I first installed the additional 4 sticks of RAM my computer would not boot to BIOS. I rearranged and reseated all of the new ram sticks and my computer finally booted up properly. However I am having massive instability issues. My computer does not always boot, I get the BSOD about once every hour, oddly enough even my video drivers were affected rendering SLI impossible and flash unviewable with constant crashes and BSODs. Removal of said RAM immediately alleviated all of said issues. I tried my working RAM in all of the slots without any problems and so I concluded that the slots were not defective.

I tried inserting the new DIMMS one by one to see which one causes the problem but after a couple of tests it appeared the results were completely arbitrary(regardless of whether there are four or eight DIMMS inserted at once).

So what would you say the issue is? BIOS, Voltage, Physical Defect of the Ram, what is it?

RAM is one of my least understood computer components.

Probably primarily voltages and timings (both base and advanced), any time you mix sets it can be problematic, in particular XMP doesn't work as the SPD programming on the sticks is for the packaged sets, and the more sticks you have the timings can change i.e. with 4 sticks of 2133 4x4GB you may need a tRFC of 171 but with 2133 4x8GB it may require a tRFC of 278 or so. Try the sticks with XMP turned off, regular base timings and post up your BIOS settings of basic DRAM info, advanced timings and systems voltages and we'll see what we can do

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Hi

capacity/frequency increase need to tweak more settings to stabilize the system, and two kits at the same time may cause compatibility issue, in case to avoid this kind of issue, using one memory kit is the best way. however, please manually tweak the BIOS, timing set as auto and raising the DRAM voltage to 1.65v
      let us know about the result!
      Last edited by G.SKILL; 07-12-2012, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL View Post
        Hi

capacity/frequency increase need to tweak more settings to stabilize the system, and two kits at the same time may cause compatibility issue, in case to avoid this kind of issue, using one memory kit is the best way. however, please manually tweak the BIOS, timing set as auto and raising the DRAM voltage to 1.65v
        let us know about the result!
        That fixed everything! Thankyou very much!

Comment

Glad to hear it, keep in touch

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
          X