Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell Aurora R4 - F3-2400C10Q-32GTX

Hello,

Thought I would pay it forward and tell you how I got the kit to work.

DISCLAIMER -- Be aware you will invalidate your warranty with Dell, also Dell aren't the friendliest or even very much aware of thier products capabilities. Also be aware of EMP and other static horrors. So this advice is for the brave, but not stupid.

1. BIOS is R03 - Go to the dell update site and update it to R03, or later.
    2. Before you put the new DIMMS in go into the BIOS.
    3. BIOS settings. Goto Advanced->Frequency/Voltage Control.

DRAM Frequency [6]
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) [Disabled]
    DRAM Timing Mode [Manual]

Goto >Advanced DRAM Configuration

Command Rate 2 [2 T]
    tCL ? [10 T]
    tRCD ? [12 T]
    tRP ? [12 T]
    tRAS ? [31 T]

Everything else set to [Auto] (or just leave it) -- The "?" values are whatever your current DIMMS are using.

F10, they Yes to save.

See if the machine will reboot with your current DIMMS if so that's a good thing to know.

Shutdown your machine, unplug it, leave it for 5 minutes. Remove the old DIMMS, keep them safe as you might need them. Put the new ones in, watch out for the keying on the DIMMS. two slots are one way and two slots are the other way. So make sure you carefully check that they line up.

Fire it up and have a party with all of the RAM. If you have issues its lots easier to just use a single DIMMS in slot 1 to get the machine going, other than that you will have to reset the BIOS.

Other things ...
    This gives 1600 Mhz and 32GB of RAM.
    I tried it at first with everything set to auto and it would not work. The XMP doesn't seem to work or maybe it tries to set too high settings for it to work.

Any suggestions to improve this config would be much apreciated.

[EDIT] Have tried the settings below and they worked. If you do mess things up then yowu need to reset the CMOS settings, look up the Dell manual. Its pretty easy, except for finding the CMOS reset link -- Its underneath the graphics card. Power off then link 1-2 to 2-3. Wait 5 seconds then plug back in and sort it out. Watch out for your boot settings !! I've put in an SSD on my R4, so you need to set the PCH SATA Configuration (under Advanced -->Integrated Devices) to [AHCI Mode]. Also make sure the boot is set to use the Boot Mode is set to the smelly [UEFI] (Micro$ofts latest wheeze, so you can't dual boot any other O/S) and you have Hard Disk: Windows ...] as your boot option. -- If you don't do this your machine will try and boot windows, then power cycle. Making it 100 times harder to figure out what is really going on

Also remember to set the time and date otherwise none of you SSL certs and games will work (origin for Battlefield 3 for instance)

[/EDIT]

And a final note, I do use the machine for gaming, but I also use it to run VM's so the extra memory is very much needed.

Cheers
    Steve
    Last edited by uninet; 07-02-2012, 11:33 AM.

Very good, sad thing about these manufactured systems, they all to often limit the BIOS as to what you can do the Socket 2011/X79 is a killer base for an OC rig, but it's terrible they place these artificial limitations on it, believe your's is limited to 1600 w/ 32GB and only 8GB at 2400....but you'll enjoy all the extra DRAM especially w/ VMs and multitasking

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Yes, kind of crap.

I expect there will be BIOS update shortly as dell are offering 32GB of ram now, but only at 1600. I would imagine they will update the bios as they offer increased memory speeds.

There are lots of settings in BIOS. I've just shown the ones that seemed to get it to work.

I did try 1800 Mhz and that definately didn't work, but the 2GB part worked fine with it. So I guess it is limited.

I might try setting the command rate down to 1 and see what happens

Comment

CR at 1 will give you a little extra performance boost, if you can adjust the DRAM timings can get a boost there also, jot down your current sttings for fallback, but should be able to run the sticks at least at 8-10-10-28 (most mobos could prob do CL7), but CL8 is conservative can give it a try

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

That works, but CL7 does not -- Guess it isn't like most motherboards.

One other point -- Windows Home only supports 16GB of RAM max ... So its a mandatory Windows Professional upgrade

If you want 32GB

Comment

Yep - Pro, Enterprise or Ultimate

Tman

Comment

Update

Ok, I've had a BSOD -- Memory Controller as the source and flickering display. I've upped the numbers to.

CR 1, 9,11,11,29

I've also have a AMD Radeon HD 7950 with 3GB of RAM so maybe that's a factor?

Cheers

Comment

With CR1 may need a little extra DRAM voltage + .03 or so

Tman

Comment

Working...
                X