• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build Constantly Freezing

Motherboard: BIOSTAR TA990FXE
    CPU: AMD FX-8150
    RAM: F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL

Built a new rig that will freeze at random intervals leaving everything unresponsive and requiring a hard shutdown. I've been reading around and it seems there could be a problem with RAM settings in the BIOS or something? Any help would be appreciated. I've updated the BIOS, all of my drivers, and run a clean memtest.

You updated the BIOS which is good, see if the mobo has a DOCP option and if so set it to 1866, else ensure the DRAM base timings are at 9-10-9-28, CR (Command Rate/Timing) is at 2N and DRAM voltage is 1.5 to 1.6

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I manually set something to 1866, didn't see anything about DOCP and upped DRAM voltage .10v. Could you tell me exactly what to change in the BIOS to set the timings? I'm not 100% on my ability to interpret all these settings.
      Here's this in case it helps.

Last edited by Fiktion; 06-24-2012, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Can you post up a screen shot of the MEMORY tab in CPU-Z

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Comment

Freq is fine at 1866, but need to go into the BIOS and change the DRAM timings to 9-10-9-28, as shown in CPU-Z they are currently 11-13-13-33 which are very slow.

Tman

Comment

Got all the timings changed and it's running faster now which is awesome. Unfortunately didn't solve the freezing so time to move on to other parts I guess. Thanks for all the help!

Comment

Try raising the CPU/NB voltage + .07 or so and try that, vCore may need to go up a tad also, can give those a try

Tman

Comment

There was CPU/NB voltage which could only go up increments of .5 so I upped just NB voltage .07. That's ok right? vCore went up .5 as well.

Comment

That's fine, can take the CPU/NB us a bit more if needed, but if that doesn't take care of the freezes, keep an eye on temps and maybe check the mobo system drivers. May be PSu also, but let's check other options first....unless you have access to or could borrow a 750-800 PSU you could stick in there for testing

Tman

Comment

Ok so I upped the CPU/NB up .5 and brought the NB down from .7 to .4 because the temperatures were climbing pretty high, might take it back up if I feel comfortable enough. Right now I have a 750w psu from a 550w and it didn't fix anything. Needed to be done anyhow. I've been working on this problem for about 3 weeks and the hard drive is really the only thing left to check. I ran chkdsk a few times and it came up clean. Barring some random CPU issue I haven't found there's not much else to check. I hope this voltage stuff will fix it.
                      Last edited by Fiktion; 06-24-2012, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Keep us updated, will have fingers crossed......if no joy, may consider running the sticks at 1600 as a test and see if that helps, have seen a number of FX CPUs that just couldn't sustain 1866 sticks despite AMD's claims

Tman

Comment

I haven't had a freeze since I changed the voltages around. Time will tell if the fix is permanent but so far it's lasted longer than anything else I've tried. Thanks for all the help man, I appreciate it.

Comment

No problemo! Glad to hear all is well, keep in touch

Tman

Comment

Working...
                            X