• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-17600CL7D-4GBPIS + Gigabyte X58A-UD3R

CPU: Intel? Core™ i7 Processor
    CPU Cooler: Stock
    RAM: F3-17600CL7D-4GBPIS (2Gx2)
    Motherboard: GA-X58A-UD3R (rev. 2.0)
    Power Supply Unit: Corsair TX750W (750 watts)

I have never overclocked RAM before, but I do want to give it a try since the CPU's temperature is pretty low (usually around 40c-60c under heavy load). The RAM's speed is currently at 1066MHz, so how high can I increase the frequency along with lowering the latency with a stock cooler? A guide would be appreciated since I'm new

Thanks!
    Last edited by bfg202; 06-22-2012, 07:07 AM.

Your running at 2133 (1066 x 2), could try taking it to 2200 at stock timings or loosen base timings by 1 to try higher than 2200.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

From what I read DDR3 offers a double data rate and mine is currently running at 533MHz (1066MHz), so is this not correct?

Last edited by bfg202; 06-24-2012, 05:58 AM.

Comment

Thought you had got the 1066 out of CPU-Z or something, sorry bout that, it's why I put the 1066 x 2 up there....anyway, if you want to try and bump it to 2133, the easiest way will be to make sure you have the latest BIOS, enabale XMP and select the 2133 profile and see how that does

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I enabled XMP-2200 but the computer couldn't get past the motherboard's splash screen.

Comment

Have you tried setting the sticks up manually? and what type of OC do you have on the CPU, as an OC will be required

Tman

Comment

Have you tried setting the sticks up manually?
              No I haven't because I don't know what to increase since I heard that you have to overclock the i7 in order to overclock the RAM

and what type of OC do you have on the CPU
              Stock @ 3.06GHz

Comment

First try an OC on the CPU to 3.6 or so, and if you the DRAM manually just set the base timings per spec, CR at 2T or 2N and DRAM voltage per spec

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                  First try an OC on the CPU to 3.6 or so, and if you the DRAM manually just set the base timings per spec, CR at 2T or 2N and DRAM voltage per spec
                  I think I'll leave my CPU at stock settings for now, but is the RAM sticks able to run at 7-7-7-21 @ 1333MHz without overclocking the CPU or touching anything else? In other words, can I just enter 7-7-7-21 and 1333MHz into my BIOS and expect it to run without problems?

Comment

Can give it a try

Tman

Comment

Yes, that will work fine, you can also try other settings like DDR3-1600 7-8-7-24 1.65V, DDR3-1866 7-9-8-24 1.65V, these are very high performance sticks so you can get pretty good results. But you will need to trial and error test to see what they are capable of.

Thank you
                      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                      X