Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM with MSI P67A G43 (B3)and i5 2500K

RAM: 2x2GB F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM set up as dual channel
    MOBO: MSI P67A G43 (B3) with latest V.I0 (also shows as 1.18)
    CPU: Intel i5 2500K 3.3GHZ
    VGA: Asus Nvidia Geforce 210 1 GB
    Windows 7 Pro

I built this system almost 1 year ago and it has been so-so. I kept the default settings for all components because I only use this for web development and minor media needs.

But, I've had Regular BSODs showing the Memory Management issue. All memory tests pass and WEI for the RAM is 7.6. So, I ignored the BSODs because rebooting would temporarily fix it and I thought I just ran out of memory because I always have Firefox open which is a bit of memory hog, along with other browsers, Photoshop, FTP, text editors, html editors, etc...

But, the problem just keeps getting worst. Recently, I've been downloading updated drivers, BIOS, and trying to pay attention to possible point of failures. I quickly realized that the MSI Bios gets the XMP data completely wrong and very different than what MSI's Control Center and CPU-Z report.

I tried the MSI OC Genie feature and I kind of thought it helped, but it didn't which is what got me researching here. It took several attempts but eventually, my manual settings for the dram stuck and I think I found a sweet spot, although it hasn't been long enough to know for sure.

Then, I realized, my CPU only supports Memory Types of DDR3-1066/1333. The MOBO is compatible with the memory and I guess I got dyslexic with "1066" and "1600" or something.

Anyway, are my stability problems because of this? I don't think the system ever reached 1600 MHZ and the most I can get it to is under 800MHZ.

Any advice on dram settings and anything else would be wonderful and much appreciated. I've built systems for 12 years, but this is the first system that I had to manually set dram timings.

Other notes: Intel Turbo boost = on,
    the MSI Control Center reports OC Genie as on (I thought I disabled it in BIOS),
    Intel C-State = On

I'm not interested in extreme overclocking although a small bump would be nice. After achieving the new manual settings that post and seem to be stable, I notice a performance improvement.

Here's a link to a screenshot of the dram timings, etc.

Many Thanks!!
    Last edited by jp0p!; 05-15-2012, 10:16 AM. Reason: Added OS; fixed link to screenshot, Solved

Update:
    So far the system hasn't crashed. It has been crashing at least once a day sometimes several times a day and the WEI for Ram is now 7.8.

So, is it safe to run DRAM at 1600 with those settings if my CPU only supports up to 1333? Or is it just an issue of being bottlenecked?

Thanks

Comment

Your hardware is capable of DDR3-1600.

800MHz is DDR3-1600. 800MHz * 2 (Double Data Rate) = DDR3-1600

Current settings look fine, MSI Control Center shows memory settings correct.

Post picture of Memory tab in CPU-Z, that shows actual operating values.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thank you for your help!

I've included the Memory tab in this screen shot. I think the only thing different since yesterday is that I brought down the CPU MHZ so it is no longer overclocked.

Does the CPU and the DRAM Voltage look ok? I set DRAM voltage to 1.601 in BIOS although it is only showing 1.5933 in the Control Center.

Thanks again!

Last edited by jp0p!; 05-12-2012, 05:41 AM.

Comment

I had a few BSOD memory management crashes so I've been increasing the DRAM Voltage because it always reports less than the BIOS. Right now, I'm getting a consistent 1.60. I also put the tWCL to 7 from 8

Should I increase tFAW?

Click for another screen shot with all timings, freq, and voltage

Many thanks!

Comment

With your mobo, make sure your sticks are firmly seated, and might even drop the tFAW some, maybe to 30 or even a little less

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Ok will do thanks!

Comment

Let us know how it goes

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Everything seems great! I'm going to give it a couple more days and then update with final settings for others with similar MOBO and RAM.
                  Thanks again!

Comment

We'll be waiting, thanx!

Tman

Comment

[Solved] F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM with MSI P67A G43 (B3) and i5 2500K cpu

Tradesman, thank you for your help! Only one BSOD crash in 4 days that occurred while powering down. But I think I've found the sweet spot for my hardware. I may need to raise the DRAM Voltage because in the BIOS is bounces between 1.594 and 1.60

Here are the settings that work for me:

BIOS (under Overclocking):
                      DRAM Voltage: has to be set to 1.608 to get 1.60 result with 2 sticks.
                      DRAM Timing: DDR3 1600 MHZ
                      CPU Voltage: 1.20

{ screenshot }

Advanced DRAM Configurations (Timings):
                      Command Rate: 2
                      tCL: 7
                      tRCD: 8
                      tRP: 7
                      tRAS: 24
                      tRFC: 88
                      tWR: 12
                      tWTR: 7
                      tRRD: 6
                      tRTP: 7
                      tFAW: 30
                      tWCL: 7
                      tCKE: 4

Advanced DRAM Timings are set to "Auto"

{ BIOS screenshot } { MSI Control Center & CPU-Z screenshot }

Comment

Glad to hear it, Enjoy!

Tman

Comment

I got another BSOD and bumped up the DRAM voltage to 1.61 in the BIOS and now the voltage seems to stay at 1.60 consistently. Dropped tFAW to 25

Comment

Keep us informed, we'll be around

Tman

Comment

Working...
                            X