• Will F3-17000CL9Q2-32GBZH work on GA-X79-UD5

I have the following:

Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 with Bios F10 on a I7-3960x cpu
    Phanteks PH-TC14PE CPU Cooler
    32gb of two set FE-19200CL11Q-16GBZHD Gskill memory
    MSI N580GTX lighting xtreme edition
    Four Crucial M4 SSD 64gb on a LSI SAS 9211-8i raid 0
    Power Supply Cooler Master 1000w Silent Pro

32gb of two set FE-19200CL11Q-16GBZHD is not working correct and many other have the same issues. I went to replace them.

So I went to the GSkill site under ram configurator for my mod and shows this model of 16gb F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH (4Gx4) with 9-11-10-28-2N will work but not this model 32gb F3-17000CL9Q2-32GBZH (8 x 4GB) with 9-11-10-28-2N.

Could someone tell me if F3-17000CL9Q2-32GBZH would work or what is the different?

Ulls
    Last edited by ulls; 05-01-2012, 01:40 AM.

Should be no problem w/ the 32GB set, it may not be in the configurator yet as they may not have had time to test with your particular mobo. The Z series was designed for the X79 and quad channel, however you show currently you have 2 sets of 16GB model and anytime you mix sets it can be problematic, i.e. XMP won't work with multiple sets, so getting a single set of the amount you want is always best as they are tested to work together. With two sets, you have to put the timings in manually and generally need to adjust DRAM and MC voltage higher (along with wanting the latest BIOS)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks
      I will place a order of F3-17000CL9Q2-32GBZH set and hope it goes well. As for the bios I will post it to night.

Thanks
      Ulls

Comment

Keep us informed on how it all goes

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

X79 only have 3 MB can install 8 DIMM and overclock DRAM, But the list not include gigabyte.
          What is not on the list can just work on 1600Mhz of the install 8 DIMM kit.

Comment

I was sure I had read a review on this board running 32GB of 2133, but maybe not, Wales (post above is a GSkill Engineer and has more info available than I do

Tman

Comment

update

Thanks for all info.

I just got the F3-17000CL9Q2-32GBZH set and install them. The XMP mode is working and it does not reset to default like my old memory but this is what is happening:

1. I set XMP mode in the bios and rebooted. With w7x64 OS I got the blue screen within a short time after I logon about 3 times. Then I did Memeory86+ test at about 33% it started to fail and then I did the windows memory test it also fail.

2. I then set by default in auto in the bios. The memory should be 9-11-10-28-2 but the bios picks up the setting as 9-11-12-28-2. DRAM Channel A/B and C/D Voltage is 1.644v in the main page but in DRAM voltage control it display 1.500v in auto for both channels. Profile DDR Voltage it display 1.65v and Profile VTT Voltage it display 1.05v. System memory multiplier display 21.33 in auto with the frequency of 2133MHz. CPU Vcore 1.260v in auto, CPU Vtt 1.050v in auto, CPU PLL 1.810v in auto and IMC 0.940v in auto. PCH Core 1.100v in auto and PCH 1.5v display 1.540v in auto. This set in XMP Profile 1.

3. Now that everything is in auto I have not gotten a blue screen at this time and I will do another memory test. So is there something wrong that I do not understand here with this type of motherboards and memory. I had never had this many issues with the old systems.

Is there anything that has to be done to work correctly?

Thanks
              Ulls

Comment

IMC may have to go up, might start at 1.2, VTT may have to go up a bit also, 1.16 or so

Tman

Comment

update

I ran the memtest86+ v4.20 with the default in auto in the bios and it pass. But as soon as I adjust any of the IMC and/or the VTT it reboots. It hanges for about two to three loops and then it comes up to the bios with a overclock error. So I ran the memtest86+ v4.20 and starts to fail at about 19% into the test. So I resetted to the default to auto and it is running ok.

I also try setting the memory to 9-11-12-28-2 but the memtest86+ fails. I then resetted to auto which reads 9-11-10-28-2 and works will. So I ask if its ok for the memory to ran 9-11-10-28-2?

Ulls

Comment

Yes those are the stock timings

Tman

Comment

That great

Then I will leave the setting in the default auto and will run withit.

Thanks
                      Ulls

Comment

No problem, keep in touch

Tman

Comment

Working...
                        X