GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 and F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 and F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT woes

Motherboard: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 rev 1.3 (Bios: F12)
    RAM: G.SKILL Value Series (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) 9-9-9-24 at 1.5V (F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT)
    CPU: Intel i5-2500k
    PSU: CORSAIR CX600 V2 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified

So I started with 2x4GB of the above mentioned memory and had problems. Found out the one of the modules was bad after troubleshooting. Order another set of 2x4gb and RMA'd once the new set arrived. New set had 1 bad stick as well. New pack arrives after RMA, both sticks are fine, RMA for 2nd pair sent out. Noteworthy: I was able to boot with 16gb of RAM but had errors from the bad sticks, but it would boot.

Fast forward to this weekend, the latest RMA arrives (4th pack of memory if you've been counting). I install the new RAM for a total of 16gb and the system will not post just 2sec. boot loops.

So this week will be trouble shooting week here's what I'm thinking and have done. At first I thought that the new modules were just completely bad because I had been able to at least boot with errors with 16gb before. However after reading around a bit, it seems that I may need to adjust the voltages to accomodate the 4 sticks.

Known
    1. I have 2 known good RAM modules
    2. I have been able to boot with errors with 16gb of RAM before
    3. Trying to boot now with new modules (16gb total) causes 2sec boot loop with no beep or post.

Possible Problems
    1. New modules are dead
    2. Bent CPU/MB pin causing memory controller problems
    3. Voltage too low/timings too high for 4x4gb DDR3 (all memory is ddr3 1333 9-9-9-24 1.5v both from double 4gb packs)
    4. 3/4 DDR slots are bad

Troubleshooting Ideas
    1. Test 2 new modules each alone in first memory slot to ensure they are working.
    2. Try using 2 known good RAM modules in DDR slots 3 & 4 to see if they are bad. (MB manual recommends using slots 1&2 or 3&4 order goes 1_3|2_4 on MB layout)
    3. Up voltage to 1.6v for memory slots and attempt 3x4gb then 4x4gb
    4. If new modules are confirmed to be working and above steps don't solve issue, assume bad memory controller or bad slots 3 & 4 on MB.

I've updated the BIOS from F10 to F12 but haven't tested with it yet. Today I'm planning on starting the troubleshooting ideas above to try and figure this out.

Sorry for the long post but wanted to get as much information as possible in here to try and figure this out.

Sidenote: I have been using Memtest86+ (7-10 cycles) for memory testing.

Any ideas?

Sounds like a plan, might test the 2 good sticks in 1-2, if OK try them in 3 and 4 if still Okay then do same with the newer sticks, if they test OK then hopefully slots/mobo and MC/CPU are fine then can (or just try this from the start since it's two sets) install all 4, make sure the base timings are correct, CR is at 2T or 2N and set the DRAM voltage to around 1.55 or so, try that....if OK see how it goes, if no joy then back to BIOS and raise MC (memory controller voltage) on your mobo it's prob VTT, VCCIO or CPU VTT by .05

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

So I tested the new RAM modules and each passed with no errors. I tested each slot individually with 1 stick of RAM and all worked fine. I tested pairs in slots 1 & 2 | 3 & 4 and they worked fine.

Initially add a 3rd stick of RAM caused the system to not turn on. The fans spin up for about 1 sec. and then the it would shut off and do this over and over again. I removed the 3rd module and upped the voltage in BIOS to 1.55V and left the VTT at 1.05V. In could then boot with 3 modules fine.

I added a 4th and had the same boot looping issue (1 sec. fans spin up then shut off, on and on). I then tried raising the voltage to 1.65V and the VTT to 1.15V with no luck. I'm at loss for what to do now, so I think I'll end up just putting the extra 2 sticks of RAM in the extra PC parts draw and chalk it up as loss.

I'm thinking that my mother just isn't providing enough power to the memory slots when all 4 modules are installed...

Sidenote: The bottom clip that holds the memory in on the 4th slot broke off at the end of all this testing

Comment

Could try 1.6 (DRAM) and 1.2 (VTT) but may just be the two sets don't want to play, what does it set the tRFC at in the advanced DRAM Timings when all 4 sticks are in? Better still, if you could post what the advanced timings are

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

The thing is, I can't even get it to post with 4 sticks in. I can't go into settings or anything, just get a 1.5sec. loop where fans turn on for a second then turn off and it restarts.

Comment

Put those settings in w/ three sticks then shut down and add the 4th

Tman

Comment

Just to clarify, both channels A & B should be at CR 2T correct? I'm going to try a bit today to get 4 working but otherwise I'm just going to hang on to the extra 2 sticks and use it when I upgrade my mobo/cpu/gfx in a year or two. Not worth the headache when I really won't use 16gb of memory anyways.

Comment

Yes 2T, 1T would just add more stress and often is doable, but will want to be stable before experimenting

Tman

Comment

Working...
                X