• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading my DDR3 ??

Should be an Easy question.

GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128392

Current motherboard, with PII x4 955 processor.

I have 2+2 Gskill DDR3 1066 right now. Every once in a while computer runs out of RAM..

What is my best bet on upgrading?

2+2 DDR3 1066 (would make a total of 8 gigs, same type of ram)

or

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory (could i use this with my existing RAM? or just take the old out and only use this?

Is the DDR3 2133 MUCH better than the DDR3 1066?

Also will be purchasing a SSD drive the same time to help Photoshop, BF3 and Windows 7 64bit but smoother.

Thanks, Sorry if its confusing.

No problem, first the DRAM, while 2133 is much better than 1066, you need a CPU and MC (Memory controller) that can handle it,,,,which the 955 can't....best bet would be an 8GB set of 1333 or 8GB of 1600 (and with the 1600 be prepared to downclock it to 1333 if need be. Some 955s will handle 1600 all right, but I generally recommend at least a 965 for 1600 sticks. AS to getting a secound set of matching sticks,, any time you mix sets, even of the same model it can be problematic, and the sets might not want to play together, plus it add extra load on the MC running 4 sticks rather than 2.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for the fast reply.

I also didnt notice i clicked the DDR3 1600 up top...

Since I have DDR3 1066... I would be better off just getting

\/

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Desktop Memory Model F3-8500CL7D-8GBRL $39.99

One last question..

I have 2+2 right now.. If i order this should i take out the 2+2 i have?

If i use old and NEW does it matter which slots they go in? I have 4 slots now.

Thanks again!! Saved me alot of headache

Comment

You can try them together and it may well work, no guarantee, but then too it won't hurt to try, will prob have to raise DRAM and CPU/NB voltages, but just give us a holler and we'll help you through to see if they will play together. You'll want the newer sticks in the primary slots (where you have your current sticks) and will prob want to start by raising DRAM voltage + .06 and CPU/NB voltage + .13

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for the help!!

Comment

No problem, let us know how it turns out

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X