X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-12800CL9D-8GBX Overclock

Heya Everyone,

First of all, This is my first post! So Hello

I'm trying to overclock this RAM to 1800Mhz to see if I can have my Q9450 boot at 4Ghz (More like suicide runs actually)

Here's my system spec so far:

Intel Q9450 @ 3.6Ghz (Stock 1.2vcore, however upped the VTT to 1.34)
    Asus Striker 2 Extreme
    8GB G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-8GBX
    Thermaltake Toughpower 1200Watt.
    2x nVidia 285s

However, I've tried to get the RAM to function at 1800 with CPU FSB at 1800 Also, But to no avail.

I've tried:

11-11-11-28 1N @ 1.60v, 1.70v
    11-11-11-30 1N @ 1.60v, 1.70v
    14-14-14-30 1N @ 1.60v, 1.70v

It could be just this RAM set doesn't overclock every well at all, or the motherboard doesn't like it, I'm not sure..

Any other things I should try?

Regards
    Callum

For 1800 Id try 10-10-10-30, 2N, DRAM 1.6, and raise the MC (memory controller) voltage not sure if it's listed as NB voltage or MCH voltage (should be something to that effect) prob at least + .1

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
      For 1800 Id try 10-10-10-30, 2N, DRAM 1.6, and raise the MC (memory controller) voltage not sure if it's listed as NB voltage or MCH voltage (should be something to that effect) prob at least + .1
      Thanks for your swift reply!

I shall try that in just a moment and get back to you

Comment

I feel silly... It worked! All because I forgot about the NB voltage and notched it up .2

Let's see if I can tighten the timings a little

Comment

That's a good thing with the forums, at times you can get fixated and the little things slip by, a look from somebody outside of the problem can be a big help, I know I'll walk away from a system and start on something else and it'll often just pop into my mind while doing a different thing, keep us informed of your progress, you've got a good CPU and mobo

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Indeed! I was fixated on something else and of course it leads you down a sidetracked road...

So, I've left the tRas @ 30 at the moment, all seems to be running fine,

I tried to 4Ghz but to no avail at stupid volts

1.5v Vcore
            1.6v PLL
            1.5v VTT
            1.75 NB (1.4 stock)
            1.70 SB (two notches away from max adjustment)

Just seems it doesn't like it at all, The 3.6Ghz is a sweet spot, No vcore adjustment and only notching the VTT Up .2

Comment

What FSB are you running?

Tman

Comment

Intel Core Q9450

Default FSB: 1333Mhz
                Default Bus: 333Mhz
                Default Multiplier: 8x (locked)
                = 2.66Ghz

Current:
                FSB: 1800Mhz
                Bus: 450Mhz
                = 3.60Ghz

Attempting:
                FSB: 2000MHz
                Bus: 500Mhz
                = 4Ghz

Comment

Can prob do it, could also burn something up, don't really want to advise to up voltages any further, it's one thing if it's on me and I'm doing it and have the responsibility, but don't really want to suggest anything that might fry something. Let us know how it goes

Tman

Comment

Can prob do it, could also burn something up, don't really want to advise to up voltages any further, it's one thing if it's on me and I'm doing it and have the responsibility, but don't really want to suggest anything that might fry something. Let us know how it goes
                    Oh of course, and I completely understand, Overclocking itself is a risk.

I might mess around with GRTLREFs as well as bump up the PLL perhaps. Surprisingly the temps aren't too bad with those volts.

Comment

Keep us informed as you have the time

Tman

Comment

Just an update,

I've not touched the CPU, I reset it back to 3.6GHz that has it rock solid stable,

The RAM however isn't stable at 1800 @ 10-10-10-30 2N with 1.6v

What's interesting however, I've not touched the timings but only the voltage, Increasing it to 1.7 and beyond all the way too 1.8 actually causes it to fail POST. (where as lower doesn't)

My theory is that it's too much voltage for the ram to actually handle and/or the heat is causing stability issues.

However, I'm writing this post at the above timings with 1.5 stock voltage, time to see if It shall stay stable with Prime95.

Comment

Might try with 2N, see if that helps any, 1 may be a bit tight

Tman

Comment

Right, it appears that since a few suicide runs with the CPU, It's now stable vcore is 1.248v

Now that I know my processor is stable. I can now resume with tweaking the RAM. Currently have it at 10-10-10-30 @ 2N, and 1.6v I've also upped the NB volt quite a bit.

If I cannot get the ram to be stable at around 12-12-12-32 Then I'll abort and just resume with 1600 since I feel those timings are just too loose at stable, and wouldn't be much performance gain then 1600.

Although it would be a 1:1 ratio with the CPU.

Comment

We'll be waiting for the updates, seems like you have a plan well thought out

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X