• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL problems with Z77

Greetings.

I just put together a new build.

i5-2500k
    F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4 (QVL list: http://www.asrock.com/mb/memory.asp?...Z77%20Extreme4 )
    Windows 7 64bit

I am experiencing lockups and BSODs when using 2 or more sticks. Lockups occur during BIOS POST and also when within BIOS. When these occur, green artifacts usually appear as well. BSODs occur during windows loading screen and of course within windows as well - if I get lucky enough to get that far.

Windows memory disagnostics produced no errors. But I did experience a glitch where text on screen would only slowly refresh, one vertical line at a time. Whether that was an issue with the ram or windows itself, I do not know.

Using memtest86+ 4.20b (only one I could get to work) revealed thousands of errors initially, but after noticing that memtest showed freqs at 11-11-11-26? I went back into my BIOs and set XMP settings (9-9-9-24 @ 1.50v). I ran memtest again for some 6 hours, producing 0 errors.

From what I can gather, any combination of sticks, on any combination of slots, produces these results. Using only one stick appears to be stable, but perhaps I haven't waited long enough.

As of right now, the odds of...

Locking up during BIOS POST: very high
    Locking up inside of BIOS: inevitable
    BSOD followed by immediate system restart at windows loading screen: high
    BSOD inside windows: inevitable

Looking at the evidence, two memory tests say the ram is fine, and ASRock says the memory is compatible... I'm totally confused. Ideas? Thanks.

Do you have the latest BIOS? If not will want that, then make sure all sticks are snug in their sockets, boot into BIOS, enable XMp and give it a try.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Yeah, latest bios. They're set correctly and I already loading xmp. Thanks for the quick reply.

Comment

In that case, disable XMP and enter the timings all manually, set DRAM voltage 1.55 and raise VCCIO up appr .04

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Will test that, lets see...
          Last edited by ominousbeing; 04-14-2012, 10:58 PM. Reason: Nevermind, I'm blind.

Comment

I can change the VCCSA but I see no VCCIO.

Edit: VTT is vccio. I'm not too familiar with memory stuff, apologies. The least I can increase it is by .9 - 1.085v. And again, since I am not knowledgeable, I will wait to hear whether that is safe to try or not, since it's double what you recommended.
            Edit2: Did it anyway, since you said approx, anyway. So far it seems stable, have not had any problems. Going to bed now and if it's still running when I wake up, I'll probably have my answer. Thanks.
            Last edited by ominousbeing; 04-15-2012, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Hard to keep track of all the mobos, VCCIO is the voltage for the MC (Memory controller) and depending on the socket/chipset/manufacturer it's also called VTT in your case, CPUVTT, VTTCPU, QPIVTT,NB, CPU/NB and a variety of others, sorry, should have been more specific....but let us know how it is after coffee, breakfast, etc, no big rush, think that prob will have done it

Tman

Comment

Cheers, Tradesman. It seems you nailed the issue. No problems the past 24 hours.

Thanks.

Comment

Great, glad to hear it, Enjoy!

Tman

Comment

Working...
                  X