16gb only showing up as 12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16gb only showing up as 12

Hi folks, I wonder if anyones come up against this one in the past.

I have:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.20GHz (Sandybridge-E) Socket LGA2011 Processor

MOBO: Asus P9X79 PRO Intel X79 (Socket 2011) DDR3 Motherboard

Ram: G.Skill RipJawsZ 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 PC3-19200C11 2400MHz Dual/Quad Channel

-----------------------------------

windows 7 pro

and I have the lastest version of the bios: Version 1010

I can't:

A) get it to all be recognised

B) Get it to runn at the correct speed, currently its only running at 800MHz

Does anyone have any ideas why this might be?

At 800 (which is actually 1600), your basically booting up into the default mode, so ensure you have the latest BIOS then go into the BIOS, enable XMP and select the 2133 profile it provides

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Cool, I already have xmp enabled but I didn't mess too much with the ram speed. So i'll give that a try. any idea why the ram is only showing as 12gb? its not the sticks they all work in each others slots and when I'm in windows the asus ai 2 tool shows that the 4th dimm slot has a stick in it, so i'm pretty stumped.

cheers for your last reply by the way

Comment

Ok so I changed to 2133 like you said and it won't go past post, so I have to do a mem ok button for it to turn it back to 800MHz for me to get into the bios, it's still also only showing as 12gb. interesting when i have only two sticks in so 8gb it will run at 1600MHz. I've no idea what I'm doing wrong and I haven't managed to find anyone with this issue on the net (yet anyway).

Comment

Some typical causes are bent/broken pins or thermal compound in the socket/under the CPU throwing off the MC (memory controller), sticks that are not firmly inserted in the DIMM Sockets, Windows is limiting the memory (GO Start, type MSCONFIG in the search box, enter, then in the window that opens go to the boot tab, the advanced tab and make sure MAX Mem is unchecked.....for further troubleshooting can take a look here:

http://i4memory.com/ramdetect

let us know if any of that helps, many of those are quick checks, can also run Memtest on each stick individually to see if a stick is bad

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Cheers dude I'll go through all of that and let you know how I get on.

Comment

I'll be in and out through the weekend, if no quick response check back a bit later, got a couple rigs I'll be working on

Tman

Comment

Thanks dude I appreciate this a lot.

Comment

No problem, let us know if you anything

Tman

Comment

Where are you looking at DRAM Frequency?

Thank you
                    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                    X