F3-2133C9Q-32GXH Frequency/timing isssue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-2133C9Q-32GXH Frequency/timing isssue

So first of all I'm going to say that I never really fully understood memory timings. I just bought a set of Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 2133 and a GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD4 motherboard.

I popped the memory in and on initial boot the ram is reading at 1333mhz and had wonky timings. After clicking around a bit i was able to set the timings to the manufactures settings but it still posted at 1333mhz.

I changed the memory multiplier from "auto" to 18.66 and it brought it up to 1866mhz but then the system wouldn't boot. I then tried 16.00 and it changed the frequency to 1600mhz and it is currently running. So I've taken steps in the right direction but its still not posting at 2133...

am I understanding something incorrectly, do i have something set wrong, or is the problem something else all together? CPU-Z screens here.

Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks for reading.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/189/capturevm.jpg/

First off with your Z68 you'll want to check and make sure you have the latest BIOS, then go into BIOS, enable XMP and select the 2133 profile then you should be ready to go, try that first and get back to us, if any problems should be able to set them up manually, actually if it's the CL9 set with the blue heatsinks, that's what I'm playing with now, just got them yesterday
    Last edited by Tradesman; 04-15-2012, 06:42 PM.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I ran the bios "auto update" but I'll go to the gigabyte site and pull it from there... I'll write back with what I find, thanks for the assistance.

(oh, and mine are black)

Comment

w/ Blue highlights? F3-2133C9Q-32GXH, that's the set I have, when I think black, I normally am thinking the Snipers, sorry

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I tried the bios update with no avail. Video shows the steps I'm taking.

http://youtu.be/jq4d1CqBjDs

Comment

OK, looks like their BIOS isn't ready for prime time either, by that I mean they aren't ready for 8GB sticks in the combo you have 32GB.....this is deja vu, had the same exact thing happen on my P67, so I spent a few hours to tune out the timings....hopefully they should work for you also, we'll try anyway...first go to BIOS and get to the DRAM timings section...then Input the frequency to 2133, basic timings 9-11-11-31, in the advanced timings will want the following

tWR 14
            tRRD 6
            tRFC 255
            tWTR 7
            tRTP 7
            tFAW 24

Also will want CR at 2T or 2N, DRAM voltage at 1.65, VCCSA at 1.20, VCCIO at 1.16 and would prob set the CPU multiplier at about 42-44 to start with, and get the sticks up and running, they we can fine tune

Tman

Comment

Alrighty, I'll give those settings a spin come Monday when I return to work. Thanks for the assistance, I'll post the results when I give it a try.

Comment

We'll be waiting to hear, think that should get them running, may have to fine tune from there if needed. Might drop GigaByte a note and see if they have any input, maybe an upcoming BIOS update or a beta

Tman

Comment

The settings provided worked! It's running, but it seems a little "glitchy" in specific I'm seeing a lot so processor activity for minimal tasks, and loading apps seem to take longer... now it could totally be in my head, but I thought I'd at least mention it.

I appreciate you helping me to get the system booting with the proper memory settings. Do you recommend any additional tweaks or should I be good to go?

video below is just me setting the settings... there in case you wanted to double check
                  http://youtu.be/p5N2P5iu8gA

Comment

What are your voltages currently at? Also may need a little fine tuning, my timings are on the tight side so if you check back in, say about 6:30 I'll throw some possibles together for you to look at/try

Tman

Comment

the only thing i changed was what you told me to... here's a screen cap of my voltage settings.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/88/capturejqw.jpg/

if you need any other numbers just tell me and i'll find them, thanks again!
                      Last edited by retox9k; 04-16-2012, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Sorry, long day, haven't really had time to play with the timings, pulled them earlier to get a full set of timings on a 16GB set and lost my RAID, just finished up getting it rebuilt and running....anyway could try 9-10-10-30, with current setup could try a slight lower tRFC maybe 250....or....raising tRRD 7, tWTR to 8 and tRTP to 8....or....might also try lowering the VCCSA to 1.18 or so....I will again try to play some more Tues......It should be a slower day for me.........(he said before the onslaught of phone calls).....keep track of the changes you try and the results you see from each (not a bad idea to run something like MaxxMem after each set of changes to see if it helps bandwidth any

Tman

Comment

VCCIO needs to go up to stabilize 4 modules of DDR3-2133.

Thank you
                          GSKILL TECH

Comment

I tried those new numbers. It booted but it BSOD when it got to windows (so i reverted to your original numbers).

Heres my maxxmem test results;

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/791/capturesw.jpg

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/9138/capture2ga.jpg

I'll be AFK for the next week, I'll message you when I get back. Thanks again Tradesman!
                            Last edited by retox9k; 04-17-2012, 05:41 PM.

Comment

No problem, we can try tuning them up better when you get back

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X