Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues w/ AMD x4 955/ F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL

Well then...where to begin...

I'm getting BSODs/Random restarts, usually while playing games (Minecraft/Realm of a Mad God).

I've done some testing and such, and have been in the Sevenfourms getting help on trying to figure out the issue. I found out via someone else that I'm friends with that they too were having issues with their AMD Processor and RAM. Same symptoms pretty much. From what he told me, AMD Phenoms have issues working with 4 Dimms and that I should just get two 8GBs instead of the 4x 4gbs. That's what solved HIS problem, but I rather go through all other options before RMAing this to newegg for the 2x 8GB.

So, first off: Specs:

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 955 (Deneb) Black Edt. Rev: RB-C3.

I built this machine about 2 1/2 weeks ago.

Now I found this forum and saw the AMD suggestions sticky at top. I did the non-Black edition fixes (I thought it was the black edt., lulz) and ran into a BSOD. I am now trying out the AMD Black edt. suggestions cause I'm an idiot and didn't realize I had the wrong setup *insert facepalm here* Anyhow. I've switched to the right setup. I haven't had a chance to run it yet (just did it) but I thought I'd go ahead and post to the forums for other ideas/suggestions in case this doesn't work.

The MOBO is trying to put the memory at a 11-11-11-28 timing as well. I've put it back to 9-9-9-24. (like the sticky says). I wanted to make sure that's in fact the right timing for this memory. It's what newegg says, but thought I'd ask.

Also, is it true that AMD processors have issues with 4sticks compared to 2 sticks?

Anyhow. Here is a link to my forum topic about the issues I'm having, in case anyone wanted to look at the BSOD reports/mini-dumps I'm getting if that will help at all http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-d...ml#post1865533

I've ran MemTest85+ w/4 passes. Prime95 for about 2hrs, FurMark (thought it could be the gpu) and other things and can't get em to give me an error. Hence why I think it has something to do with AMD/RAM not playing nice.

Thanks for the help/suggestions ahead of time. I hope everything I've provided in this tl;dr post helps.

I won't say flat out that they won't work at 1600, but I will offer I wouldn't count on it. AMD (comparitively speaking to Intel) has a weak MC (Memory Controller), and generally depend on price point to compete for sales, unfortunately that reflects in less R&D. Most of their CPUs are designed towards lower DRAM speeds and 1 stick per channel. The latest CPUs use a new marketing twist, in that they advertise they can run 1866 (and in small print) UP TO 1 stick per channel. Another issue involved is running 1600 with a 955, I normally suggest a 965 as a minimum for 1600, but some have accomplished it. The 2 stick approach is a better option IMO as with only 2 sticks there is less stress on the MC using 2 vs 4 sticks.

An option you can try that has been good for many is to drop to 1333 and tighten the timings to get near native 1600 performance.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

So, keep what is suggest in the AMD sticky but drop down to 1333mhz. (instead of the 1600 freq)

As far as "tighten the timings" could you give an example or a good starting spot? I mean I know how to change them via bios, but I don't wanna "break something.

They're currently 9-9-9-24 (instead of what the BIOS Auto-ed which was 11-11-11-28). Are you suggesting maybe like a 7-7-7-? or something like that?

Thanks for the help. If I can fix this problem before RMA-ing the sticks that'd be nice just cause newegg=restock fee plus another $45 to up to the same spec sticks that are 8GB instead of the 4GB.

Comment

Start with 8-8-8-24 and can prob stick with stock DRAM voltage, may still need a pinch extra in the CPU/NB since it's 4 sticks.....if that works and stable could experiment down to CL7 (maybe starting at 7-8-8-28) with a hair more DRAM voltage)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Alright I'll give it a shot.

One more question. I prob should of asked this earlier but I assumed. By CPU/NB voltages you're saying just "up" the NorthBridge voltages right? Cause that's what I bumped up by .10 like the sticky said.

Comment

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!! Just kidding, yes that's what I meant

Tman

Comment

Lol.
              You're an evil person you know that? =P
              Just wanted to make sure that cpu/nb meant what I thought it meant and not 2 diff things or something completely diff. I'll give this a go and see if my computer catches on fire. Thanks again!

Comment

At times I like to add a bit of humor to help keep my sanity and to get others attention

Tman

Comment

As of right now, I consider this issue "resolved." I haven't had a BSOD/Reboot/Freeze since I last reported. I did what was stated in the sticky (properly this time..as I did the non-Black edt. the first time..when I have a black edt. processor...) and everything seems to be going fine.

If I do happen to encounter another issue, I will be looking at doing what you suggested Tradesman and start knocking down the freq-tighten timings.

Thanks for all the help!

Comment

Well of course you haven't had any BSODs, Reboots, Freezes etc, you sent all of them to me!!! Just kidding, got some new sticks to play with and do some experiments with and one set was a real bear, 32GB 4x8GB 2133/9 and unfortunately the mobo I'm working with has the latest BIOS, but they apparently never gave thought to 8GB sticks....so tried XMp and got the weirdest timings loaded, system wouldn't run at anything but 1333, a few hours later, after figuring out all the advanced timings (the ones I have work anyway) I finally got them running, am going to run some comparison testing between them and sets of 16GB 4x4GB Snipers (my favs) 1866/CL9 (have been running this set for a few months and a like set of Snipers but the 2133/CL9 model. Also am going to do some other testing with a RAM drive and other odds and ends.........so if you see black and blue smoke coming from the OC forum, you'll know it's me

Tman

Comment

What can I say? I'm a sharing person!

Good luck with all that. If I do see black/blue smoke I'll bring along some hotdogs/marshmallows.

Comment

We'll have a regular party and tell stories about the old days!

Tman

Comment

Welp. I thought the problem was resolved and I guess I was wrong. A few BSOD here and there with the same errors basically. Got a new one today though blaming dxgmms1.sys for the crash (DirectX)

any ideas?
                          I dropped the RAM Freq to 1333, timings I brought down to 8-8-8-24 (2 days ago) and brought the N.B. up to 1.30v (orginally 1.10)...any suggestions on this?

Comment

Might raise DRAM voltage a little bit + .03 and with your combo, the vCore just a bit also + .05

Tman

Comment

Sorry Tradesman, you're gonna have to deal with the "newb"-ness a little

My DRAM Voltage is at 1.50(0), I can only raise in .5 increments

As with the V.Core it's at 1.40(0) and can only be raised by .25 increments.

so kinda confused as I can't do .05,.03 increments. Are you suggesting taking the dRAM to 1.80 and the v.core to 1.450?

Comment

Working...
                              X