Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 RAM advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 RAM advice

Building on this mobo. Reviewed mobo manual for recommended RAM but it's as clear as mud to me. I'm using a I7-2700k and want to be able to OC. Can I do that with 8 Gb of 1600 mHz low voltage RAM like G-Skill F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL (advertised to be "made for sandy bridge") using 4G x 2 sticks for 8G total , or do I need to go with something in the 2200 or 2133MHz range? Those would/may require higher voltage if I understand it right for OC'ing, and, reading about other remarks in this DDR3 thread, that may not be a good thing. Also, I don't see any of the higher MHz RAM advertised to be "made for sandy bridge". Can any one recommend a proven set of RAM for this mobo I can OC with, and if I end up with 4 sticks (2G x 4), do I need a RAM fan? Thanks...

2x4GB won't require a fan, No. As far as the sets available, the Ripjaws X line was designed for Sandy Bridge and the Snipers work extremely well also....or....you can go with either of the newer lines, the Ripjaws Z and the Ares , both of which are fully backward compatible to SB. 1600 is prob the slowest I'd look at, can let your budget help decide, should have no problems up through 2133 with 2x4GB. As far as OCing, all sets are XMP compliant, so you'll simply want to ensure the the mobo has the latest BIOS, install the sticks, go to BIOS, enable XMP, select your profile and go. Then if you wish to OC further, for example, I've got 4x4GB (16GB) of 1866 Snipers in this P67 rig, and loosened the timings from CL9 to CL10 to run them at 2133 with a slight voltage adjustment....should have more on that hopefully be next weekend, have a 32GB set coming and will be doing a variety of testing/results that I'll put up next weekend (fingers crossed) testing the these sticks and the new set from 1333 through (I hope) 2400 in various quantities and timings

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Asus P8Z68-V PRO RAM

Thanks again for such a quick response this Easter. You've got me looking at the
      Ares Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-2133C9Q-16GAB. I'm very new to this however. The ad mentions something about 9-11-10-2N timing (most have four numbers without the 2N). Is that OK(for speed/clocking)? And having settled on four, would you think I need some type of RAM cooler?

Comment

Yes, for the final timing on these I'd use 30 or 31 if going manually, but would make sure You have the latest BIOS, and just go with XMP initially, it'll set the timings, etc for you at 2133 then you can experiment with tightening down or further OCing if you wish. Shouldn't need a fan, unless you have bad airflow in the case and plan to OC these up to 2400 or something - even then it might be optional. I've currently got 16 GB of 1866 OCed to 2133 (CPU at 4.8) and it's all stays cool (CPU and Mobo both in the mid 30s with basic usage, browsing running TV in and on 1 screen, multiple browsers/windows)....actually have had many builds ever need fans.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

On the other hand, looking at some of your (Tradesman) past replies regarding this motherboard, you seems to like the snipers. Would you think G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL11Q-16GBSR would do?

Comment

Yes, I love the Snipers, have 2 sets of 1866 now at 2133, was leaning towards the F3-17000CL9Q-16GBSR over the F3-17000CL11Q-16GBSR for this rig to try and take it up to 2400 (the set I was looking at is $20 more than set you showed, but for the extra $20 it's a CL9 set vs the CL11 (lower CAS latency = higher performance and better chance for OCing, but I'm going to go with a 32GB set instead (Ripjaws X, 4x8GB, 2133/CL9)....I think I've used all the different Sniper sets except for the 1.25 1600s and loved every one of them..very versatile, OC higher easily, generally can even tighten the CL at stock speed...wish they bring them out in 8GB stick sets....but I'm happy to wait on that till they find the ICs they'll need, reather than just pop some out to pop them out, GSkill tends to sort of adhere to keeping the sticks to a standard of sorts.

Tman

Comment

The snipers F3-17000CL9Q-16GBSR it will be! (Too much for the 32Gb ripjaws x)
              Thanks again!

Comment

No problem, let us know how you like them

Tman

Comment

Working...
                X