problems with F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH on ASUS P9X79 Pro Motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a the same problems too ..
    i just bought new G.Skill Ripsaw F3-17000CL-8GBXL DDR3-2133 Memory.i have 4 of these .
    I have a Asus M5A97 Pro AM3+ and i got a AMD 6 Core FX 6100 3.3Ghz .

Anyways befor i bought the Asus motherboard it said it would support DDR3 2133 .

I installed my G.skill Ripsaw DDR3 2133 to the Asus motherboard & updated the Asus motherboard to the last bios .

Basically the Asus motherboard keeps crashing and rebooting & even blue sccreening when set at DDR3 2133 so i have to reset it back to default at DDR3 1600 .

As far as im aware the Bios has the correct voltage settings for my memory at 1.5 v so i do not not why this is happening .

I contacted Asus and they blamed it on my G.Skill Ripsaw memory ,saying the voltages for it can not be set right in my bios and i would have to contact the vendor or manufactor ??

I tested all 4 memory modules singley so no problems there .
    Can anyone help ?

Comment

My guess is that the sticks are good as you found with the testing and not sure what you actually have not sure if 4x2GB 1 set, 4x8GB individual sticks or a couple sets of 2x4GB, but you have a couple of problems here, the first is the QVL (I posted a thread on QVLs here:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10566

In many cases like yours, while the QVL may indicate the DRAM is compatible, they generally have the following disclaimer on the list (as Posted by Ramjam, same thread above:

ASUS - The default DIMM frequency depends on its Serial Presence Detect (SPD), which is the standard way of accessing information from a memory module. Under the default state, some memory modules for overclocking may operate at a lower frequency than the vendor-marked value

which sort of adds up to, they 'test' the sets by installing them and seeing if they will boot up and run at the mobos default speed, which with AMD is generally 1333 or 1600, they seldom ever test at the DRAMs rated freq (here 2133). Then when folks can't run at the rated speed, their 'support' sends them to the DRAM maker, (can try asking them sometime what settings and CPU they used to run these 2133 sticks at 2133, they often won't even answer or tell you (again) to go to the DRAM manufacturer)

The second problem is the CPU, while AMD advertises their FX CPU as running 1866 DRAM, they are actually rated as UP TO 1866, AT ONE DIMM PER CHANNEL or two sticks, and from what I've tested the 8120 can do it with an OC and voltage increases but the 6100 and 4100 have some serious issues in running 1866, takes a high OC and even more voltage...and then many can't run 1866 sticks, so 2133 will take some serious tweaking even with an FX-8150 (and again many have tried and not been able to run it without turning their system case into an oven.

My suggestion would be to run them at 1600/1866 or try and exchange for a lower price set the CPU can handle

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I have 4x4GB sets G.Skill Ripsaw F3-17000CL so have a total of 16GB ...So ya say its the AMD FX that the Issue and i should get lower set of memory or replacement ?
        I do have some lower memory of Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR3 1600 4x2GB but i got the 2133 since the Asus said it support it .
        I looks at my bios and the memory is set at 1.6 v ..is that 1.6000 ??

Comment

I tested my G.Skill Ripsaw F3-17000CL at 1866 and it just shut down and didnt come back on the Asus mobo .
          Looks like i will be sending the memory instead for a refund ???

Comment

1.6 v is the voltage in the BIOS, but still not sure what exact set you have some are 1.6 others rated at 1.65, should be on the package, if you drop and run them at 1600 can prob drop the voltage some, will depend on your actual set (model should be on the sticks)...because if you do drop to 1600 you can tighten the timings for better performance...at least to the point the CPU can handle it.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

So if i lower the Voltage and higher the the memory feq ,do you think i might be able to use the 2133 feq by lowering the voltage ??

Comment

I don't think you have a chance to run at 2133 with that CPU, I'm saying if you drop the DRAM frequency to to 1600 from 2133 you may be able to run at a lower voltage - but if you need help I need to know the model of the DRAM you have, as I've said

Tman

Comment

As i said the feq is set at 1.6v in the bios .
                  Here is the model number F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL DDR3 2133 CL11-11-30 1.5-1.6V PC3-17000 4GX2 INTEL XMP READY ....hope that helps

Comment

Forgot to mention the AMD 6 Core FX 6100 3.3Ghz is the black edition unlocked for overclocking too .

Comment

1.6 v is the DRAM voltage not the frequency......if you want to try and run them at the frequency of 1600, will prob want DRAM voltage about 1.58, base timings of 9-10-9-28, CR at 2N, and CPU/NB voltage at 1.2

Tman

Comment

Sorry my mistake ,yes 1.6 v is the DRAM voltage set in mt bios, but like i said they run fine at 1600 with no problem ,so im not to hung up over that .
                        Its only when i change to the speed of 1866/2133 it shuts down so bit pissed off due to the AMD .
                        Which out of the FX CPU,s would be good with DDR3 2133 like mine ???

Comment

Im just wondering on Asus website on the specs of my mobo its says
                          4 x DIMM, Max. 32GB, DDR3 2133(O.C.)/1866/1800/1600/1333/1066 MHz ECC, Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory
                          Dual Channel Memory Architecture

DDR3 2133(O.C.) Meaning Over Clocked right ?? So i would have to over clock to get the 2133 out of my memory ??

Comment

You can try if you want. With 32GB and AMD you are looking at prob a max of 1333 DRAM, with an 8150 you might do 2133 with 8 to 16 GB. Bout the best I've seen with a 6100 is 8GB of 1866, and it ran very hot.

Tman

Comment

Oooch ...very hot eh ?
                              Well im looking in the the Asus Venders list on my motherboard as it seems like that could be a issue since my modules are not listed ,however other G.Skill modules of 2133 are in the list .

I got my G.Skill ram from a seller on ebay as that its all he sells is the G.Skill memory, so maybe i should go with the Asus vendor list on memory ?? or shall i simple return my memory to the seller & downgrade to ddr3 1600??

Comment

It's up to you, as I've said, any 2133 they may have on the list probably won't even run at 2133 due to the limitations of the AMD MCs (memory controllers), and were more than likely 'tested' at the default of 1600 or so......might even want to email their support and ask what settings and CPU they RAN the 2133 sticks with...and even be blunt..WERE they tested at 2133?

Tman

Comment

Working...
                                X