• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS P8H67-M EVO won't boot w/ RipJaws X 8GB 1333 x2

Hi all,

Motherboard: ASUS P8H67-M EVO rev. B3
    CPU: Core i7 2700K
    RAM: G.Skill RipJaws X Series 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz (F3-10666CL9S-8GBXL) x2 (=16GB total); installed in the blue memory banks.

All components are brand new, the computer is being assembled for the first time. The computer will not boot. Screen stays black. No sound or beeping.

I have tried using the ASUS "MemOK" button to no avail: after cycling several times, MemOK LED comes back on solid, indicating a memory problem.

I noticed that the RipJaws X DIMMS lists ASUS P8Z68 motherboards as qualified, but not the P8H67. Please help, thanks !

First check that you have the latest BIOS, 2302, can be found here:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Int..._EVO/#download

Didn't see any 8GB sticks on their QVL, so while advertised as supporting 32GB, testing may have been minimal. Once you get the BIOS to the latest version, go to BIOS if you can and enable XMP, select profile 1 and try again, if same thing try in the Black slots. Next would be to try with a single stick in slot 1 and/or try slot 2

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I do not have other DDR3 DIMMs to try, unfortunately.

So I have a chicken and egg problem: with a computer not booting at all, I can't go online fetch a BIOS update and apply it. ;-(

Comment

Neither stick will boot by itself? Try checking all your connections and go to a bare level config, graphics card, 1 stick of dram, CPU, cooler. Check the power connections, both to the mobo firmly seated, same with your graphics card (if needed). All screws securing the mobo tight. Then try, and let me know what it does, i.e. fans come on, beeps, whatever. Could check CPU and socket (look for thermal compound in socket, bottom of CPU, bent pins in socket, etc.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

It booted I believe (MemOK went off, then it beeped) with only 1 of the two modules in the blue or black bank nearest to the CPU socket.

When trying the other module in the exact same slot, it failed as before e.g. failure to find a suitable memory mode.

Two always fail, regardless of the bank arrangement.

So I think I have one bad DIMM. I'll test more tonight and see how I do with only 1 DIMM. Perhaps I'll ask for an RMA of that other DIMM as well.

Comment

Give that a try, can try cleaning the connectors on the sticks and unless you bought locally not a lot you can do as far as RMA (other than contact your e-/re-tailer for an exchange, so what you might want to do is check w/ friends/co-workers and see if any one is running DDR3 (of any kind) and borrow a stick or two, then if it doesn't boot it's likely the mobo, CPU or PSU, but if it does boot you'll be able to download the latest BIOS and might yet get things going before the weekend is over. I'm leaning towards BIOS issues as the latest release is less than a month old and will be addressing DRAM issues, most boards are in the process of getting updated for 8GB modules

Tman

Comment

Have upgraded BIOS to the latest and given these DIMM slots and modules a good amount of air-gun, but I've still got a non-functioning DIMM module in my hands. So that's that; this one is going out to RMA.

The system is working fine with one G.Skill RipJaws X DDR3 1333MHz module though, in either one of the two closest banks to the CPU socket.

Thanks a lot for your help you have been very helpful.

Comment

Sorry you got a bad one, might get quicker turn around thru your e/re-tailer if within time limits if not can RMA direct thru GSkill. Let us know when you get them both ready to go, if any problems we'll be here.

Tman

Comment

I got my replacement DIMM today, installed it and lo and behold, it works great w/ 16GB !
                  So the initial module was bad indeed. The mobo appears to be handling the memory just fine.

Now looking forward to getting 2 more DIMMs at some point in time & max-out this baby to 32GB. :-)

Comment

Glad to hear you got things going, occasionally one will get a bad stick, but not often, keep us updated on your progress

Tman

Comment

Working...
                    X