• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 & G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ

Model of the motherboard: ASUS M4A78T-E AM3

Model of the memory: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ

Model of the CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb

OK, just a little background. I originally built this system 2 years and everything was fine. I had never tried to overclock the system or do anything at all. Just recently I got into PC gaming again (BF3 will do that to you) and decided to actually use the system for stuff other than the kids playing flash games. I first upgraded the video card to a EVGA 460 GTX and last week bought another 4GB of the Ram above (2 x 2GB) bringing the system to a total of 8GB.

I just threw the sticks in and for about 4 days everything was fine. Then I started to get BSOD with Memory Management. When I take out the 4GB I just bought everything is fine using all the auto settings in the BIOS. As soon as I add it back in I get the BSOD. For a week I have been lurking on this site trying to take some of the settings others have used with no luck. I'm so frustrated. Not sure who to be mad at but guess I thought I would be able to just add RAM and be good to go.

Can someone help me with the setting I may need or where I need to start. Please speak plain because the BIOS is usually something I never play with, like I said I never had a need to overclock..I just want my memory to work please ..Thanks

With 4 sticks will want to add about + .12 to the CPU/NB voltage and about + .04 or .05 to the DRAM voltage to help the MC and the sticks to play together and be stable. An alternative since the 955 can have problems with 4 sticks of 1600 would be to drop to 1333 and tighten timings to get near 1600 performance

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for your quick reply TM, although I have been lurking for just a week I was pretty sure the first reply would come from you..3 questions though when I am adding the voltage is that to the min allowed in that setting? and when you say tighten up the timings what exactly should I be tightening to? Lastly, dropping it down to 1333 is that before doing the things you said or is that in addition to what you said.

And while writing this the system won't post, thats with it set to 1333 I forgot I left it there from the last attempt. I'll try the 1600 now though..

Comment

Whats should my CPU/NB Freq be set to? I have it at 2400 right now

Comment

Freq is OK, it's the voltage that would need to be raised (it controls the MC (memory controller))

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Ok I have tried what you asked me too and nothing has worked so far..any other suggestions?

Comment

Dang not sure why I can post images..FML lol

Comment

Can you post your BIOS settings - and for images, most folks post them to an image hosting site and then put links in, I've never even tried it here

Tman

Comment

Comment

CPU Bus Freq to 240

Tman

Comment

I'll try in morning

Comment

Will be in and out all day Fri

Tman

Comment

tried that..didnt go to well. Had to pull the CMOSbatt all this for a additional 4GB of RAM grrr

Comment

Might be that the two sets just don't want to play together (which can easily happen anytime you mix sets, even of the same model. Could also well be that the 955 simply can't handle the 4 sticks of 1600 (normally we suggest a minimum of a 965 for 4 sticks of 1600, might try dropping to 1333 and tighten the timings for near 1600 performance at 1333

Tman

Comment

So after resetting the CMOS I took just one stick out, and left all the default values in the BIOS, had no BSOD and ran thru BF3 a few times. Seems like 3 slots is the limit..Pretty disappointing really..

Thanks for your help though!! Not sure whose fault it is but I really feel like I won't buy another ASUS mobo or GSKILL Ram again

Comment

Working...
                              X