Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help a OC Noob run 2 kits of F3-12800CL9T-12GBRL on Rampage III Extreme

Good day gents/ladies:

I just bought 2 kits of F3-12800CL9T-12GBRL for total 24GB to install in my Asus Rampage III Extreme and having a few issues. I'm not currently overclocking but I may do so at a later date. However I just want to (need to) be able to run my system with 24GB stably either at 1600 or at the very least 1333.

Little history first. I've had this board for over a year now but it was running an Intel I7-950, overclocked via Asus Noobclock (CPU Level-Up) at 3.7ghz and Corsair XMS 12GB at I forget which freq. I wanted to do a mild upgrade to a 980 (because I need additional cores for what I'm doing) and wanted to bump the ram to the max supported. I heard good things about Gskill and got the aforementioned-kit.

My issues:
    I installed both kits making sure I matched each channel with one kit. I labeled the kits A and B.
    I installed all sticks from Kit A into red banks
    I installed all sticks from kit B into black banks
    Power on system and BIOS detects 24GB. Good to go. Go into BIOS (version 1502) and notice it's running at 1066. No problem, let me save and exit make sure it runs. Boots into Windows 1 time and asks for a reboot. (new proc installed at the same time.) After reboot it hangs at Windows loading screen. (no BSOD, nothing...just a hung loading splash screen)
    I try all sorts of settings. Trust me I'm clueless with the modern MB/Proc overclock and voltage settings/ratios, etc. Last time I overclocked something was in 1998.
    Anyway,
    Boot to Windows 7 (x64) and it hangs. Hard reset and try a couple more times. Hangs always.
    Go back into BIOS and set the XMP profile even though I know it won't work since I have 2 kits of 12 rather than 1 kit of 24.
    Boot to Windows and it hangs.
    I removed 1 kit and left the red bank. I try XMP, nothing. Hangs on Winboot. All kinds of settings and me getting frustrated until I try below.

<edit>Since I cannot get XMP to run properly on even 1 kit, eventually I got it to run at the following settings (and running right now): 1333mhz, 1.62975v DRAM Bus voltage, CPU 1.21875v, QPI 1.2v, IOH 1.11341v. Bclk 133, Timings are (get this) 7,7,7,20, tRFC 107, CR1T. (I know these aren't the specs, and I know the timings are really tight but I was desperate after hours of messing with it I just said what the heck, let's try this and voila!. Boot and stable. However this is not my intent. I want 24GB and stable even if I have to run the spec'd 9,9,9,24. Overclocking is not my intent with this machine. I want staaaaaaaaaaable.

So yeah, not sure why it's even running at the moment, but it is. If only I can get the second kit to work albeit at looser timings I'll be happy. I'm afraid to even reboot right now for fear it will hang again. I've checked Windows MSCONFIG to make sure the Max Memory setting is unchecked. It was.

Since I'm at work and don't have my BIOS settings handy I know the above is pretty vague so will update my post soon as I get home to check.
    Can anyone recommend sure-fire Asus Rampage III extreme BIOS template for me to run all the ram with all banks populated and the recommended settings? I am not looking to overclock since honestly I suck at it right now. Just want a stable system for Photoshop/VMWare/Gaming. Yes I need 24gb of ram as I found myself just today running out of memory on a huge 3GB .psd file.

I've searched the forum for this specific issue but could not find anyone else trying to do what I am....I know both kits are good since they each run separately on their own. Just trying to pin down some foolproof boilerplate settings that some may be running.

Sorry for being so untechnical and noob but want to learn more. Assistance and advice greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by DEFILER; 03-11-2012, 10:03 AM. Reason: Got home to provide specifics.....
    Cordially,
    Chris H.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    CPU: Intel Gulftown 980 (Not-X) on H100
    Mobo: Asus Rampage III Extreme
    Mem: GSkill F3-12800CL9T-12GBRL x2 (trying)
    GPU: EVGA GeForce 590GTX Classified
    HDD: OCZ IBIS 490GB HSDL
    O/S: Windows 7 Professional x64

At 1600, I'd leave the DRAM voltage for now, the 9-9-9-24, CR at 2T, CPU at 1.245, QPI/VTT 1.25

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks tman for the response I will try it in 24hrs headed to bed and then work. Will let you know the results. Can you confirm that 2 disparate kits with same specs can work so long as I enter manual settings? I'm working in Kuwait and buying the 24gb kit will take 3 weeks to get here and I'm impatient :-) so rather hoping to get this working.
      Cordially,
      Chris H.
      CPU: Intel Gulftown 980 (Not-X) on H100
      Mobo: Asus Rampage III Extreme
      Mem: GSkill F3-12800CL9T-12GBRL x2 (trying)
      GPU: EVGA GeForce 590GTX Classified
      HDD: OCZ IBIS 490GB HSDL
      O/S: Windows 7 Professional x64

Comment

From my perspective, it's 50-50 of getting the mixed sets to work, you have to play with timings and voltages most of the time. Lucky for you, with the 1600 DIMMS the problem isn't as great as with higher speed memory. I've had disparate sets just pop in and go, and with many others, nothing I could do, short of cutting speed drastically would get them to work and with a few, nothing at all - and in a few occasions they were the same model. Specifications on memory are so extremely tight these days, I'm glad GSkill test the individual sets that go out.

Comment

DEFILER
          Think Intelguy summed it up pretty well, mixing sets can be problematic, generally with 1600 and below chances are pretty good with voltage adjustmenst

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
          X