no post at 1866

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no post at 1866

have been trying to oc my ram to 2133 havent got there just yet but am making progress at 1866 when i reboot it shows as 1866 in my bios but when i try to post windows 7 it hands so it put 1866 on memtest86+ and it fails in test 5. however at 1600 it passes all tests any thoughts that you may have would be great .

mobo MSI X79A GD65 (8)D
    I7-3960X processor
    ripjaws z 2133 quad channel 8x4gb ram total 32 gb
    kingwin 1300 psu
    phantek heatsinK
    GTX 560Ti 2gb graphics
    windows 7 ultimate 64bit sp1
    Last edited by jjhall76; 03-10-2012, 08:07 PM. Reason: additional info

Comment

Do you have the latest BIOS, 1.2? You can find it here:

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/X79A-GD65.html#/?div=BIOS

All you should need to do is install the DRAM, enable XMP and select profile 1, then check VCCSA, should be around 1.25

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Yes I've flashed my bios to 1.5 for my mono.last night I did it again and Windows started right up while I had 1866 running then I did a reboot and loaded the exact same profile and no joy I don't understand what's happening I'm trying to get to 2133 but figured I'd start lower to learn the tops so to speake

Comment

And btw am I supposed to be able change my Oc while in a different profile example I have profile set to 1333 and I'm able to Oc to 1847. Same if I'm set at 1866 I can oc to. 1967 MHz but not stable

Comment

It looks like MSI rushed their motherboards out to market with very little testing on their BIOSs, there are a number of threads with MSI X79 motherboards and people using either fast or large quantities of RAM and XMP not working. The same sets of RAM under XMP seem to work fine with ASUS, ASrock and GigaByte motherboards. The same thing happened when they released their P67 motherboards, example - http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10388
            from today, and there are others from the last few days

Comment

To try and stabilize, I'd keep the settings you have currently at 1967 and increase the DRAM voltage .05 or so, also may want to raise the MC voltage a bit .03 or so

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I tried that and still no go.im curious though is it normal that I can get those speeds to post in bios but fail when I try to start Windows in fact it makes me do a recovery which fails repeatedly until I clear cmos and start Windows in my default of 1600 or do you think is a different problem ?

Comment

Could you post your BIOS setting so we can take a look

Tman

Comment

Will do when I get off work thank you for your help and your speedy return I very much appreciate it

Comment

No problem, am normally in and out during the day and evening PST

Tman

Comment

sorry it took me so long to post these settings.
                        bclk=116 strap = 1.25
                        cpu ratio=32
                        cpu freq=3712
                        dram freq =auto 1600
                        adjusted dram freq=1855
                        dram timing mode=unlink
                        dram timing=11 11 11 28 2t
                        cpu core voltage 1.155
                        system agent voltage =1.25
                        cpu I/O voltage =.950000
                        cpu pll voltage=1.90000
                        ddr ch a b c d voltage =1.65
                        ddr ch (a b c d ) ca vref=.80000
                        ddr ch (a b c d ) dq vref=.80000
                        overspeed protection=disabled
                        cpu phase control=disabled
                        cpu i/o phase control=auto
                        ddr ch (a b c d) phase control=disabled

so i hope this nhelps cuz im just winging it at this point. these settings will allow windows to start but they fail aida64 stability test
                        Last edited by jjhall76; 03-17-2012, 01:06 PM. Reason: left out info

Comment

need the cpu freq higher, try it up about 4.0 - 4.2

Tman

Comment

Working...
                          X