Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-10666CL9D-16GBXL(8Gx2) compatibility- ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3

Hello all, first time poster.

I recently bought a ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 motherboard and I have yet to buy memory for it. I plan on installing it in a week or two. I was going to buy G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL but now, I'm interested in buying the :

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-16GBXL

http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=424

I eventually want to add more than 16 gb of ram for editing and encoding so my question is, are these 8gb x 2 sticks of ram compatible with my ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3?

Under the link, under the Qualified Motherboards List, my board isn't listed. I see lower end and higher end ASRock Z68 MB's, but not mine.

Does anyone know if they'll work? Has anyone been successful using these on the same board? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

The sticks are designed for the P67, Z68, H67 chipsets, so should be good to go, another good note twoards this is that while they only show 1 8GB set of sticks in their QVL, their latest BIOS update 1.3 is heavy on DRAM updates including to XMP 1.3 so....they should be covered with 8GB sticks as that SHOULD come before updates for XMP 1.3. If me, I'd go ahead and order, but on the safe side could drop ASRock an email and check w/ them

Oh and if interested in the BIOS update, can be found here:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.as...%20Gen3&o=BIOS

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
      The sticks are designed for the P67, Z68, H67 chipsets, so should be good to go, another good note twoards this is that while they only show 1 8GB set of sticks in their QVL, their latest BIOS update 1.3 is heavy on DRAM updates including to XMP 1.3 so....they should be covered with 8GB sticks as that SHOULD come before updates for XMP 1.3. If me, I'd go ahead and order, but on the safe side could drop ASRock an email and check w/ them

Oh and if interested in the BIOS update, can be found here:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.as...%20Gen3&o=BIOS
      Thanks for the quick response. I'll go ahead and purchase a set.

You thank you so much!

Joe

Comment

Not a problem, let us know what you think of the sticks

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Tradesman, thank you for your help. I went ahead and purchased 2 sticks of:

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9S-8GBXL

Works like a charm!

I have a question that maybe you can help me with. I previously had 2 sticks of Patriot G2 ram:

Patriot 4GB DDR3-1333MHz G2 Desktop Memory Module
          Memory Category: Desktop
          Desktop

Memory Type: DDR3
          DDR3

Memory Speed: PC3-10666
          PC3-10666

Memory Speed MHz: 1333MHz
          1333MHz

Memory Size: 4096MB
          4096MB

Total Memory Size: 4GB
          4GB

Memory Modules: 1

Memory Socket: DIMM
          DIMM

Memory CAS Latency: 9-9-9-24
          9-9-9-24

Pins: 240

Voltage: 1.5V
          1.5V
          The specs look the same ( save size) yet I can't seem to post with all of these sticks of ram. My question is are these not compatible? All four dimms work, in fact, I am using 2 x 2 munchkin ram with no problem but the 2 x 4 Patriots don't work. I am fairly new to this so excuse my ignorance. I thought these could be paired up.

If you don't have an answer for me, maybe you can recommend a pair of 8 gb ( 2 x 4) Ripjaws that will work with the 8gb sticks.

Please advise

Joe

Comment

Mixing 1600 sticks w/ 1333 sticks generally doesn't work real well, I'd try them at 1333 and see what happens, let me know and we'll see if they can mesh together, I'll be out in the field most of the day but will check back when ever I can, back later in PM at latest

Tman

Comment

^^ Thanks for the reply. I'm not going to mess with the Patriot memory, I'll keep them for emergency.

Aside from buying another two sticks of F3-10666CL9S-8GBXL, what can you recommend that would go well with these? I want another 8 gb ( 2x 4) G.Skill for a total of 24 gb.

Take your time.

Thanks

Joe

Comment

Was in a bit of hurry this AM earlier and saw the 1600 sticks in the original post, but since you bought 1333 you may be able to mix the two sets, I'd put the new ones in slots 1,3 and the older in 2,4, may have to raise the DRAM voltage ( + .05) set the timings manually since XMP won't work, and prob need to take the MC voltage (believe VCCIO on your mobo) up to about 1.16 or so

Tman

Comment

^^ Tradesman, I decided to go with Ripjaws. I wanted another 2 sticks 8gb ( 2 x 4) for a total of 24 gb.

Can you recommend a set for me?

Comment

Could go with F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL, which is the 4GB sticks of the same model 8GB sticks you have, will want the 8GB ones in 1-3 and the 4GB in slots 2 & 4, and will prob need about + .06 on the DRAM voltage and the MC voltage up .1

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                      Could go with F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL, which is the 4GB sticks of the same model 8GB sticks you have, will want the 8GB ones in 1-3 and the 4GB in slots 2 & 4, and will prob need about + .06 on the DRAM voltage and the MC voltage up .1

Thank you for all of your help. Consider me a new loyal customer.

Comment

GSkill will be happy to hear that, let me know how they work out

Tman

Comment

Hello, I currently have a problem using this setup and was hoping for some insight.

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-16GBXL
                          ASRock Extreme3 Gen3

I can get the PC to boot with only one stick in but not both. I have tried both slot pairing (1-3 and 2-4) and neither seem to work. I have updated the bios per the suggestion with no change. Any other ideas?

Comment

Install both sticks, maybe start with 1-3 (can try 2-4 if no joy with 1-3), set the timings to spec, DRAM voltage to 1.5, CR (Command Rate or Command Timing) to 2T or 2N if it uses the N designators) and raise the MC (Memory Controller) voltage to 1.13, think its the VCCIO voltage on your mobo but may be like CPUVTT

Tman

Comment

When I put both sticks in the computer doesn't get to the Bios for me to do this. Can I do these settings with one stick in, save then put the second stick in?

Comment

Working...
                              X