• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Memory or wrong memory?

System:
    ASRock 990FX Extreme3
    AMD FX-4100 (3.6ghz)
    Ripjaw series 4 x 4G (F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL)
    Windows XP Professional
    Crucial 64gb SSD (this is currently not being used due to BSOD when installing windows)
    Maxtor 500g HDD (using this HD form my old system with everything pre-installed)
    Roswill 750w PSU
    Nvidia Video 460 (previously owned)

I just purchased the above pieces from Newegg. Everything installed fine, first boot went great. I then formatted and started Windows XP install on new SSD. Just as Windows begins install, I get a BSOD.
    So, I take out the SDD and put in my old HDD to see if the system was stable. The memory is reading very funny. The computer is stable and running fine but not what I would expect with 16gb of memory. Some places recognize the 16gb of memory (BIOS and System Information) but other places only recognize partial memory (“My Computer” properties shows 3.5gb and my AIDA program shows 3323MB physical memory)

I’ve attempted to tweak bios settings with the sticky post listed in this forum but no differences.
    My next step when I get home tonight is to try memory from old system and look for 2 things: Does the memory register on old HDD correctly…. And…. can I install windows on new SSD successfully.
    I emailed ASrock for help with compatibility between this memory and their mobo. Their website lists every compatible memory down to the stock #. Several GSkill products make this list but the exact product# of the memory I have is not on that list. Also, on the Gskill packaging it specifies: “Designed for Intel... compatible with Intel and AMD AM3 CPUs” (my CPU is an AM3+ socket, would this matter?)

So my questions are:
    Does this GSkill memory work with AM3+?
    Do I possibly have bad memory due to the system not recognizing it in some places? How would I check this to be certain? Switch out sticks with different locations and look for changes ?
    Is the mobo compatible with this memory? (awaiting answer from them)

Edit: Reworded the entire post to hopefully read easier. I wrote the last message near midnight and was in a hurry to get the ball rolling.
    Last edited by Medieval; 02-01-2012, 05:55 AM. Reason: reworded

What version of Win are you running, with it showing about 3.5 GB of DRAM it sounds like you have a 32bit version of the OS

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Win XP professional. Yes, I believe it's a 32bit install.

Comment

Then yes, a 32 bit OS will only see/use about 3.25 to 3.7 GB of the DRAM, having 16 GB installed can slow things down since the OS can't use all of it but the it's still there and putting a load on the other hardware, change to a 64bit OS and things will speed up

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I was just about ready to make up my mind to return the gskill for a different memory.
          I just checked the gskill "Ram Configurator" link and it does not list this memory under the motherboard i have. (http://gskill.com/configurator2.php?pid=2&model=1419) Although I have found several people who run this memory with that motherboard with no problems.

I will try to install the 64bit version of my OS tonight as well as trying a few other things.
          Why would the Windows give BSOD on a fresh windows install tho?

Anyone know anything about the Crucial 64g SSD?
          Last edited by Medieval; 02-01-2012, 07:56 AM.

Comment

If installing a 32bit OS with 16GB, it's not going to like the hardware config, also XP can be finicky with installing with more than two sticks of DRAM, with your 64bit OS, might want to try install with only 1 or 2 sticks and see how that goes, should go fine.

On the Crucial, not sure what model you have (they have a few 64GB SSDs), but when installing, might check that you are installing under AHCI instead of IDE mode (both for better compatibility and performance) and if it's a SATA III drive you are connecting to a SATA III port...and that it has the latest firmware.

Tman

Comment

Soo... I installed Vista 64 to the new SSD while only using 2 of the memory sticks in slots 1 and 3.. Everything worked fine. I loaded windows, updated all the drivers, restarted computer a couple times to get the updates working. I did not have a chance to see if the memory was registering but i assume it was. I turned the PC off and installed all 4 memory slots. Now nothing works... and I mean.. nothing...
              I've now had to double check every component to see what is wrong.

The PC turns on and acts like it's running but i do not see any video.
              I checked the display monitor (tv) with another PC, works fine.
              I checked the Video Card in the old PC, worked fine.
              I tried the old HDD and still no display... It loads fine on the old PC.
              I've tried both HDD and SDD with different variations of this memory, 1 stick in 1 slot, 2 sticks (the way it was working fine with), all 4 sticks, etc..

The memory and motherboard are the only 2 things I cannot check since my previous system uses DDR2 and does not support AM3+ chipset. I will have a friend plug this FX-4100 into his pc to see if it's the chip.

I'm basically forced to RMA both motherboard and Memory and get an entire new setup.
              My first time trying GSkill, can't say i'll be returning. Nor will I buy another ASRock. Completely fed up with all of it. Never have I had so many problems.

Comment

Might go back to 1-2 sticks and check that you have the latest BIOS

Tman

Comment

Working...
                X