Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SNIPER] F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR 2 sets (4x4GB=16GB)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [SNIPER] F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR 2 sets (4x4GB=16GB)

Hi,

Issues: < help please
    Memory DDR3 [SNIPER] F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR 2 sets (4x4GB=16GB) All memory tests pass fine.

16GB support for 1866 memory if I manually set the times volts and select 1866 ram a
    no boot to OS issue occurs.

Note: I do not want to over clock cpu to crazy settings or memory just hit the spec.
    1866 with 16GB of my memory.

If I have to up anything to do this what bios settings do I need? Lost here.

I am totally lost about how to set this part up. (In the words of the young NOOB!)

PC runs fine at 1600 (default) with 16GB no issues at all.

I Need help here please.

The bios has a profile 1 for 1866 settings how ever if I set this profile to load.
    no boot to OS occurs.

I can set the 1866 times manually with the 1600 frequency and the PC runs fine.

How ever if I set the frequency DDR 1866 to load.
    no boot to OS occurs.

I think that covers my issues.

All my parts are new PC been running for a 2 weeks.

PC specs

(sorry just happy about the build)

AsRock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional (Bios 1.50) (latest drivers)

Memory DDR3 [SNIPER] F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR 2 sets (4x4GB=16GB) G.Skill

AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz Socket AM3+

Antec KUHLER H2O 920 Liquid Cooling System

Western Digital Caviar Black WD2002FAEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s AHCI enabled (SSD next X-mas)

PowerColor PCS+ AX6970 2GBD5-PP2DHG Radeon HD 6970 Call of Duty Edition
    2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express (12.1 driver preview)

LITE-ON DVD Burner / LITE-ON DVD (firmware updated)

AZZA Solano 1000 Black/Black Japanese SECC Steel/Metal mesh in front
    ATX Full Tower Computer Case

BFG Tech EX-1200 BFGR1200WEXPSU 1200W

steelseries Shift Gaming Keyboard 64105 Black USB Wired Gaming Keyboard (latest drivers)

Logitech M570 Black 1 x Wheel USB RF Wireless Laser Trackball (latest drivers)

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit (All updates Installed)

First not a NOOB, you already checked and made sure you have the latest BIOS, so, you'll want to go into the BIOS, set the timings to spec, CR (Command Rate, Command Timing) to 2N (or 2T depending on the letter designator) as many mobos default to 1N/T, then set CPU/NB freq to 2800, then DRAM voltage to the 1.57-1.6 area (may just want to start at 1.6, and add +.12 to the current CPU/NB voltage. The additional voltages are for two things, one is your running 16GB and the other being that you are mixing two sets of sticks, which can be problematic at any time, but more so with higher freq sticks and again with AMD. Try that and let us know how it goes, believe should be able to boot up and run, may need further adjustments for stability

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Just saw you back, I'll be back in the AM, with my rifle

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thank you for the reply.

I am very confused about cpu/nb voltage and dram voltage.

I am at 1.1625 if I add +.12 cpu/NB voltage as you suggest it should be 1.745 then?

and dram voltage is 1.500 set to ???? 1.570 or 1.600? is this correct?

You see I have 3 digets after the decimal so I am not sure.

CR is all ready at 2N/T

cpu/NB freq. 2800 thats the muitplyer right? x 14 = 2800?

What about the DDR setting? Do I change that its on auto now? or do I set to DDR 1866?

Sorry told you I was noob! lol

I just dont want to burn up 1700$ if I screw up. My wife will rip my toes off. lol JK

Comment

CPU/NB if at 1.1625 now and add .12, should be 1.2825 not 1.745.........DRAM voltage yes........on CPU NB-freq correct, and yes set DRAM to 1866..........and it's called being careful

Tman

Comment

*hides behind rock and shouts*

Hi,

set DDR 1866

set CPU/NB FREQ. 2800

CR 2N/T

Dram VOLTS. 1.600

close as I could get was 1.2875 CPU NB volts no option for 1.2825

still no boot to OS.

Comment

How about with 2 sticks? Did you check that you have the latest BIOS? Does it give any error code or just shuts down? Does it even start to go into Win?

Tman

Comment

No I did not try just 2 sticks. would like to stick with 4.

Bios is latest 1.50

No error code just a black screen. PC stays running no shut down.

I have to hit reset button to go back to the bios.

Looks like I will be stuck at 1600?

I can play BF3 no issues at all at 1600 my windows WE score for memory is 7.6

I ran the memory tester in windows.

windows reported no errors.

Comment

Been trying to get something from AMD for over two weeks now and finally got a response today, according to them, and I quote

"AMD FX CPUs can run memory at 1866 speeds, but in a single memory channel mode as stated in our BIOS and Kernel developers guide and as this is the highest speed memory officially supported by AMD this is the memory speed quoted in our press releases"

So it's sort of like some of their previous CPUs that they say "CAN RUN" memory at a given frequency, but don't bother to mention it's limited to 1 stick per channel, they had the same things with CPUs at 1066, 1333, and 1600 - i.e. they say it can run it, but don't bother to mention 1 STICK PER CHANNEL. I've seen where others have run 4 sticks at 1866, but it's been somewhat rare. They also say to contact the mobo makers and that THEY SHOULD HAVE THE SETTINGS for running any sets of DRAM on their QVL (which I don't believe), not that they don't have them, but I've never run into to any that will provide the specifics of timings, voltages, settings, etc.

I will keep digging around and see if I find anything that might help with your combo, and maybe GSkill will have some info

Tman

Comment

So let me get this straight.

They tell us consumers NATIVE support for DDR 1866.

Then bury in a DOC. only a enginer would read the truth.

And the MOBO manufactures built 32GB support MOBO's
                    and hid that fact from us as well. I can't type what I am feeling.

Well bend me over to take one from AMD.

BTW I seached the internet for weeks I tryed a 4000mhz overclock on CPU
                    And adjusted to your suggested settings. If that didn't do it nothing will.

Still no boot to OS, The PC runs just does not disply a screen stays black
                    Have to hit reset button and enter BIOS to undo changes.

stuck at Duel channel DDR 1600

Good luck with AsRock support is shoty you may get a reply you may not.
                    reminds me of ASUS 10 years ago.

And all the reviews we read are BS because alot of them say they tested in duel channel.
                    at DDR 1866 and some with 16GB of ram.

I have never seen a QVL that said anything about 1866 supporting 4 sticks.
                    was all ways 1600 and below for 4 sticks.

But I seen lots of reviews with 16GB? question is was it 8GBx2? or 4GBx4?

Sorry for the rant.....

Thank you for your hard work Tradesman ....... I look forward to your reply.
                    Thank God GSkill cares about this mess.

Comment

For what it's worth, here's the section that gives the document and a link:

"For our full supported memory specification please review our BIOS and Kernel developers guide here - http://support.amd.com/us/Processor_...h-0Fh_BKDG.pdf
                      specifically page 110, table 32 AM3r2 DDR3 DIMM frequency."

If running at 1600, you should be able to tighten timings to 8-9-8-28 or even 8-8-8-28, maybe better, dropping to CL8 will increase performance to near 1866 levels.

They also refuse to provide an email address for corporate, and the email available on the web they apparently don't respond to lowly customers, anyway mine have been ignored, their support address is TECH.SUPPORT@AMD.COM
                      Last edited by Tradesman; 01-02-2012, 07:07 PM.

Tman

Comment

What enthusiast would run there PC in single channel mode? NOT ONE!

This was false advertisement support by AMD and MOBO Manufacturers
                        for the DDR3 1866 spec............ And I bet money that doc. was revised
                        to cover there butt.

Not once did they suggest single channel mode to consumers for 1866 spec..

Because no one would have purchased AMD for that fact alone.

We purchased because of the 1866 spec. And the fact that intel will not RMA
                        any CPU that fails if you use over 1333 you void the warranty on sandys.

Pray I don't hit the lottery........................Sorry I am steamming mad.

Thank You Tradesman for the truth. I will try and tighten timings after work.

I have to bury someone tommorow. No it's not AMD employee......lol

sHOOT is a grave digger no joke yep really.

Comment

Brrrrrrr!!!! In below freezing weather, No Thanks! Well, if you think about AMD might help keep you warm. I picked up a 8150 when it was first released and got it to run 16GB of 1866, but it was flaky and didn't OC well at all - had it semi stable at 4.35, but for the time I spent with it, I could have built 7-8 2500Ks rock stable with 2133/16GB at 4.8 or better. I sold the thing off at cost less than a week after I got it. Was hoping it would give me a reason to start adding AMD to my builds again, dropped them a few years ago, similar thing CPUs that could run 1066, but only 1 per channel. If you need help tightening the timings down yell out, after you thaw out.

Tman

Comment

Hi,

Well I went straight for the cas 7 spec for 1600 DDR3
                            7-8-8-24
                            No boot to OS occurs.

Went for cas 8 spec for 1600 DDR3
                            8-8-8-24
                            Booted to OS Testing with windows memory test passed. (quick test)

Checking programs ....see if it stay stable.
                            Games.......see if it stay stable.

I will be back let you know how this go's.

Oh one question will this timing I have set hurt my ram?
                            Or would this be abuse?
                            I guess what I am getting at will GSkill tell me if this would be supported or not?
                            Or is this like a under clock? seeing that this is 1866 DDR3?

Tradesman are you a GSkill Tech? I mean I seen another poster with that tag but do you work for GSkill? I think you do a great job BTW you answer all most all posts.
                            Thank you for the help!

sHOOT

Comment

First, it's fine to run the sticks under spec. No, I'm not an employee..would like to be, if even part time to get a discount, I came here a few years back for info on their SSDs, and at the time they didn't really have techs that knew about DRAM or SSDs, so I started helping out and continue to do so, thankfully, they have a very sharp tech that's does the bulk of their support now. This is one of the few support boards that actually has techs manning it...problem here is they also do all the email and phone support....so, those come first, probably just based on the fact that most boards are user driven. And right now I know they are slammed from people getting presents, new home builds, people upgrading systems, etc, it happens every year, I know it hits me heavy, I've three boxes I'm working on right now, two are upgrades, the other was brought to me as dead, but is running well at the moment. As for me, I've been in systems going back to 1980 and mainframes, currently I have my own systems/consulting business and a home repair/remodeling business. Whenever working inside I've always got at least a couple of boxes on the net and check in as often as possible, it really helps me in the building and repair side of the systems business as I can see what mobos/CPUs and other components can be troublesome and what works well with what, helps me give educated advice and make builds much easier.

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X