Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL/ CPU Overheating

Hi,
    I just upgraded my Gskill Ram from 8Gb (4x2GB) to 16Gb (4x4GB) and it says my CPU is overheating, and it crashes 1-5 minutes into the boot. Is the overheating related to the doubling my Ram? Any tricks to fix this?

I searched the forums and have tried multiple settings for speeds 9-9-9-27, 9-9-9-24. 8-8-8-24, 1.5 voltage, 1.6 volts- but nothing is working. I get the 1-5 minutes to get into the bios settings change options. I did get Windows 7 to boot up and saw the 16GB Ram was working in Task Manager, but then it automatically shuts down.

I have the ASUS Motherboard P7P55D LGA 1156
    Intel CPU 860 (2.8 ghz)

My old RAM was the
    GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) model F3-12800CL7D-4GB

the new Ram is
    GSkill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

Purchased from NewEgg and their memory configurator.

Help!! what am I doing wrong? I thought it would automatically work.

thanks

Do you have the latest BIOS, 2101? Can find it here

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Int...P55D/#download

Try that first, then start with one set and manually set the timings 9-9-9-24 2T 1.5 and try that, if stable add the other two sticks and raise DRAM voltage to 1.55 and try that, then check back, may have to add some voltage to the MC since it's separate sets

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

thanks for the quick reply...

I do have the latest Bios (yesterday), and I tried removing 2 sticks (9-9-9-24/ 1.5v), but it still shuts down, says CPU Over Temperature Error.

I guess I'll try putting the original Ram back in?

freaky... any ideas?

Comment

Might reset BIOS to default settings and then try, the DRAM should have any effect on the CPU overheating....unless maybe the CPU cooler was knocked askew or slightly off, might check the coolers orientation and that it's firmly attached

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I checked/ reset cpu fan (stock, no extra cooling)... thermal paste looked very dry... worked for 10 minutes. I saw all 16GB Ripjaws Ram working in task manager, and shut down to move computer back to desk spot...

And now it only boots for 1-4 minutes...can the thermal paste be the problem? and do I need a cpu cooler?

thanks

Comment

Yes, otherwise the CPU overheats in just a couple minutes or so, and if the CPU cooler came off rather easily, the compound my have dried up and it broke loose so wasn't passing the heat off, would clean off the old compound (rubbing alcohol and a lint free cloth or paper towel works well) from both the cooler and the CPU - reapply compound and reattach the cooler though w/ your rig I'd suggest a third party cooler.

Tman

Comment

I got a 3rd party cooler (Coolermaster), new thermal paste, and everything is working fine...

Now I can really work the overclocking- any suggestions for a newbie? I'm using the 9-9-9-24 timings... (Intel i7 860/ Asus P55 motherboard/ 16GB Ram)

My main use is for After Effects- video editing/ graphics...

thanks for your prompt help during my crisis...

Comment

What were you looking to do? Your at 1600 stable with all 16GB, right?

Tman

Comment

I am stable and cool at 1600.

I want to take advantage, get my moneys worth out of my cooler and Ram investment!

Comment

As a suggestion, first things first, the DRAM and the CPU are both good OCers....so might want to read up on OCing the CPU, which is where your biggest performance gain will come from and take 3-5 days to do so (that will give the thermal compound you put on the CPU and cooler time to cure....if you start OCing right away you often don't get a good set up between the two. Once it's cured, you can get a decent OC and get that stable then start with the DRAM...just guessing, but would expect you can get them up to 1866 anyway.

Tman

Comment

ok, will do... i'll keep you posted...

Comment

We'll be here

Tman

Comment

Working...
                        X