2 sticks BSOD, 1 stick works fine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 sticks BSOD, 1 stick works fine.

First off, this computer I'm having problems with is newly built and this was a first-time build for me. Majority of my knowledge has only been known through the build process and part research, so bear with me.

My pc worked just fine for 2-3 days after build, then all of a sudden I got a BSOD with error 0x0000000A "IRQL not less or equal". Did a little research and this must be RAM issue?

I am able to run my computer with 0 issues if I use just one stick of RAM but if I put the other in, I tend to get the BSOD few minutes after start up, sometimes on login or after.
    The thing is, either of the sticks work fine individually but together they result in BSOD.

I have:

ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL

Intel i7 2600k (I am not OCing)

I emailed g.skill support and they suggest RMA but I'd like to see if it's something else before I'm without a computer (again) for weeks.
    I believe my BIOS is up to date though I'm not 100% sure. I checked the Asus site and the BIOS update there was older than my BIOS info in terms of date.

Both are in proper, recommended DIMM slots for dual channel. If swapped, same issue.

Thanks

Believe BIOS should be 0902 - 10/6/11 here:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Int...ENEZ/#download

Without more info on the system it could be a few things....you could test each stick with Memtest but if they both work fine by themselves, it's prob not the sticks....could try (if you have them or could borrow a set) a different set of sticks (to see if possibly your sticks, if same happens, then it's other hardware or OS, could be BIOS so check that, might try raising the DRAM voltage a tad say + .03 in case not getting proper voltage to the sticks, could be from a crash and can often fix that by booting Windows into safe mode with command prompt and running CHKDSK /R , in Windows can also run system file check by opening a command prompt window and entering SFC /SCANNOW.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
      Believe BIOS should be 0902 - 10/6/11 here:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Int...ENEZ/#download

Without more info on the system it could be a few things....you could test each stick with Memtest but if they both work fine by themselves, it's prob not the sticks....could try (if you have them or could borrow a set) a different set of sticks (to see if possibly your sticks, if same happens, then it's other hardware or OS, could be BIOS so check that, might try raising the DRAM voltage a tad say + .03 in case not getting proper voltage to the sticks, could be from a crash and can often fix that by booting Windows into safe mode with command prompt and running CHKDSK /R , in Windows can also run system file check by opening a command prompt window and entering SFC /SCANNOW.
      My BIOS is 0706

I ran memtest on the current stick when I left for work but when I returned, the screen was practically covered in jibberish. I don't know how else to explain it. I waited for one test(?) and it passed. I haven't run memtest on the other yet.

I tried booting to safemode but I'd get the BSOD before it could start. It wasn't always at the same time.

Comment

I looked up the Maximus IV GENE-Z, and they only show 0403 and 0902, if it is the right mobo, yours may have an aborted Beta BIOS or something, might confirm the correct mobo and if so try the new BIOS

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
        X