Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Choice of new kit to mate with different installed kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choice of new kit to mate with different installed kit?

Long-time GSkill user here. Currently I have installed a 2x4GB kit of F3-16000CL9D-8GBRM in my Asus M4A89TD Pro with a Phenom II 1090T stable at 3.9GHz. The sticks are under-clocked at DDR3 1600 with faster timings at 8-9-8-24-1T. I am using 1.6V but suspect I could lower that. I'm also using a Corsair 3-fan RAM cooler.

My son would like to make me a gift of a second 2x4GB kit, but his budget will not allow for the same kit (I gambled on DDR3 2000 and lost; this CPU/Mobo just doesn't like going above 1600). So we've been looking for a different kit that would be compatible with what I have. We need GSkill's advice on which of the following would work properly along with the current kit. I've listed them in the order of what I suspect/prefer would be best, but again, I will go with your advice.

1st Choice: F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL - these have the same low-profile spreaders. Would I be able to tighten the timings to CAS 8 or would I need to loosen the current kit's timings back to CAS 9? And can these handle 1.55V?

2nd Choice: F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL - I would underclock to 1600 and tighten the timings to CAS 8; would that work? Rated at 1.5V "low voltage", would they handle 1.55V?

3rd Choice: F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL - same questions as 1st choice, can timings be tightened to CAS 8 or would I need to loose current kit to CAS 9? And can these "low voltage" run at 1.55V?

4th Choice: F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM - these already have the tighter CAS 8 timings, but are also described as 1.5V "low voltage". Would they handle 1.55V? (And these are harder to find.)

The RAM cooling fans are rather close to the sticks (I can't measure the clearance precisely), which is one reason I would prefer the first choice, since they are lower profile. I would be willing to go with CAS 9 with the lower profile over a higher profile kit with the CAS 8 timings I'm using now, since this is not a gaming rig.

I didn't consider any Sniper kits as I don't know anything about them or their spreaders. I suppose the F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR underclocked to 1600 and timings tightened to CAS 8 would also be an option, as long as they can run at 1.55V.

Thank you very much in advance for your assistance.

Just so you know mixing any two sets , even the same exact set, can be problematic and there is no guarantee, I'd suggest trying the F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM set, as they are closest in timing to your current setup. Would suggest you make sure you have the latest BIOS, then install the NEW sticks in the primary slots by them selves and get them set up and stable, and then add your older sticks. And yes they can run at 1.55 if needed, but might start w/ 1.5

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
    X