Downgrading from 1600mhz to 1333mhz to solve BSOD. Advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downgrading from 1600mhz to 1333mhz to solve BSOD. Advice needed

Hi there. So I have been battling with ram for a while now.

My setup is:
    M5A97 Asus
    AMD 970 X4

I have been having BSOD problems since booting windows because originally I had 8gb kingston which I then traded a friend for some 8gb of Corsair. Which was a bit more stable on auto settings but was still BSOD every 4 or so days. And when I changed the settings (adjusted to correct timing, upped the CPU-NB volt by .1v upped the ddr3-1600mhz basically followed all the steps outlined in your guide to memory tuning method 2 even though I didn't have g skill) and that made my system blue screen in like 2-4 minutes every time. And since it bluescreened so fast i didnt even try method 1.

Now I am thinking about buying the G skill 1333mhz 8GBXL because its on my QVL (the Corsair was also on QVL but apparently that didnt change anything) but Im just wondering if I run into problems with comp BSOD on auto settings what ram settings should I change to make it stable?

Also Im posting before hand because so far every stick of ram has BSOD on me so might as well get answers now instead of waiting for it to happen. Also is there any other advice or different course of action you might take if you were in my position?

THANKS!

If BSODs with the different sticks, might check the CPU and socket for bent pins or thermal compound that may have seeped in there. Also check that you have the latest BIOS for your mobo. Other than that, with the combo you have you should be able to get the sticks stable without a lot of problems, especially 1333 sticks

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Okay thanks I was hoping that since it seems that every 1600mhz ram i throw at it it downclocks it to 1333mhz so if i get a naturally 1333mhz ram it should run fine.

Also I will try a bios update if this fails but for me I would rather buy a new set of ram then do the bios update because I am really new to this and I heard even experienced people can brick there system when doing a bios update.

Comment

It downclocks it to 1333 because that is the default boot speed, anything over 1333 has to be set up manually and with AMD it can at times be a pain, because AMD has weak MCs (memory controllers), could try the steps in the guide again with your other sticks, but the timings may be different than for GSkill DRAM. With your CPU, method 1 should work by raising to 240 to set 1600, then use the native settings of the sticks you have

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

F3-10666CL7D-8GBRH
          F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL (plug and play)

If you manually configure settings in BIOS, it should work fine. You can try DDR3-1333 8-8-8-24 1.50V

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
          X