Asus P9X79 MB with Ripjaws Z F3-17000CL9Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus P9X79 MB with Ripjaws Z F3-17000CL9Q

This Ram should be compatible with MB, but when I try to boot, I get a steady red led light. I press on ram configuration button and after a series of reboots nothing happens. Anyone out there know for a fact that the memory is compatible? Trying to find any of the ram off of the asus qualified memory list is near impossible.

Do you have the latest BIOS, 0802? Can be found here and has some DRAM updates:

http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Int...9X79/#download

Sticks should work fine, the Ripjaw Z line was designed for the H79, not sure what exact model you have (last 5 missing from model # which tells how much and the L, M, H designator), but should be able to install in the correct slots, go into BIOS, enable XMP and select the 2133 profile

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

F3-17000CL9Q2-32GBZH - Asus P9X79 Pro

Searching for the problem I have with my brand new G-Skill Octo Kit F3-17000CL9Q2-32GBZH, RipjawsZ-Series, I discovered this thread and decided to ask for help in here to gather RipjawsZ - Asus P9X79 questions.

As mentioned before I bought this 8 piece kit to have 32GB ram. The problem is, that I was not able to operate the memory at its rated speed, only 1866 MHz is stable. I am using stock bios settings beside the activation of the XMP feature (all settings to "auto"). This raised the DRAM Voltages to 1.65V, the CPU VCCSA Voltage to 1.25V and applied the correct dram-timings (at least the ones I actually know : CL9 11-10-28). The OS (Windows 7 x64 Professional) can boot and is usable for a while, but often crashes. I thought of a driver problem at first, but could not find any. A Linux Live CD was not able to operate stable, too.

I then used memtest86 v4.02b to test memory. After just a few seconds of stress testing, memtest86 starts to report errors continuosly. (So actually there should not be a thermal problem here, the modules were not even sensibly warmed up immediately after system startup)

The exact hardware I am using is:
      - Asus P9X79 Pro MB with Bios 0802 (most up to date version)
      - Intel Core i7-3930K
      - G-Skill Octo Kit F3-17000CL9Q2-32GBZH (8x4)
      - be quiet! Dark Power Pro P9 850W power supply

If the other hardware is of interest, please let me know and I will post all of it.

What I already tried is:
      - disabled turbo mode, intel speedstep and set the cpu at x32 (3200MHz - stock) ==> same problems
      - clocked the cpu below its default speed ==> same problem
      -raised the voltage slightly above 1.65V ==> problems are not reported as often, but still occur
      -increased to CL11 timing, problems maintain
      -reduced speed to 1866 with xmp-programmed-timings ==> stable operation after 48 hours continuous memtest86 and also after 48 hours of running prime95-x64 with 12 threads and 20GB used memory

My questions now are:
      -Can I do something to get it stable at 2133MHz?
      -What other voltages can I tweak (and how far?) to get it running?
      -Do I have to wait for a futute bios update of Asus?
      -Is the set able to run at 2133 with 8 modules? I guess so, as it would not make sense to sell it this way
      -Or is the set simply defect?

Any help is appreciated, though I can run smoothly with 1866, it would be nice to raise it to the supposed 2133.

Many thanks in advance!

Please apologize the detailed writting, I just wanted to be as precise as possible/helpful. Also apologize any linguistic errors, as I am from Germany...

Comment

My immediate guess is that the BIOS isn't yet ready for 32GB 8x4GB at 2133, particularly since it's a newer mobo i.e. in looking at the QVL, while they show a fairly long list they all appear under DDR3-1333, with nothing listed for 1600, 1866, 2000, 2133. As in the above post, I'd suggest trying enable XMP since it's a single set, select the 2133 profile, and from there may have to raise the DRAM voltage .05 and or maybe the
        VCCIO.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thank you very much for the fast reply! I am truly impressed...

The exact model is not listed in the memory QVL of Asus for this board, that is correct. But many different GSKILL sets of the new RipjawsZ Series are (even the 8x8 64GB kit F3-17000CL11Q2-64GBZLD or F3-19200CL10Q-64GBZHD are listed as stable with 2,4,6 and 8 modules) The list can be found here and does contain modules up to DDR 3 2400: http://www.asus.de/Motherboards/Inte...P9X79_PRO/#MSL

The link is in german, but the list download can easily be found and the list itself is english

The GSkill page itself lists the Asus P9X79 Deluxe as compatible (as far as I know the both boards only differ in the fact that my Pro Model does not support Raid for the two additional SATA3 Ports and some minor features, they do actually share the same bios version number)

So, in fact, i did not have any guarantees from neither Asus nor GSkill that the both are compatible, but very strong evidence that this is actually true anyway.

That should not be an accusation, just to let you know that there is a QVL list available. I did not find it on the asus-global-english site, so maybe it just is there on asus germany, and can be of help regarding any other asus questions you may encounter.

But back to my question. So I may raise the dram voltage above 1.65V ? With 0.05 you meant 1.7V? If that is no problem I will try it at once

If it doesn't help I just stick to 1866 until the memory is listed as compatible (or not) and retest with any future bios update...

Comment

Yes can try at 1.7 and as mentioned maybe raise the VCCIO (Memory Controller) voltage a bit also.

Tman

Comment

I have the exact same Mobo, CPU, RAM combo which eldeos listed, and experienced the exact same problem. With the JEDEC settings, the RAM is stable, but with XMP settings (2133MHz), it quickly melts down in memtest86.

I'm concluding that this combo doesn't work. Based on the similar Part No's on the mobo's DDR3 2133 Qualified Vendors List, it would seem reasonable to expect it to work, however the fact is that it's not on the list, so I guess it was either not tested or failed the tests. I'll return these and try something from the QVL.

Thanks eldeos for reporting this, as it saved me the effort of trying all those fruitless steps you went through!

Comment

Have seen some other problems with the mobo, and believe it's prob due to an immature BIOS

Tman

Comment

Working...
                X