F3-12800cl9d-4gbnq+asus m4a79xtd evo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-12800cl9d-4gbnq+asus m4a79xtd evo

Hi - I have a home built system that's 9 months old. I started with a 4GB kit (2x2GB) of F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ in an ASUS M4A79XTD EVO and the system ran fine for 6 months on stock BIOS settings. Then the BSODs started (sometimes blue screen, sometimes blurred video then black screen, sometimes straight to black screen). Reloaded Windows 7 with no improvement. I've read through the forums and I've tried various settings without success. I've tried setting the DRAM Frequency to 1333 with the CPU Host Frequency at 200 and everything else AUTO. It'll POST but then BSOD as the Windows panes fly-in on boot-up.

For now, I'd be happy with a slower system with 4GB of RAM that's stable versus a faster system with 4GB of RAM. Basically, I'd like a stable 4GB system and then I'll tweak.

The RAM works fine one stick at a time. Assuming the RAM is fine, what utilities exist to troubleshoot a MoBo?

thanks,

charles

Ensure you have the latest BIOS, and might check the sticks individually with MemTest, then if you want to run 1600 and have a CPU (not mentioned above) that can handle 1600 check the sticky:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=7688

it also show settings you can use to set up for 1333

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

F3-12800cl9d-4gbnq+asus m4a79xtd evo

Hi - I think I've got the latest BIOS. I'm running American Megatrends Version 2102 (06/17/2010). I've run MemTest (http://www.memtest.org) with no errors reported. It's been a while so I'll run it again. The CPU is an AMD Athlon II X3 450 3.2GHz (Rana).

I tried the settings at http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=7688 without success.

Is there a different memory model better suited to the ASUS board?

thanks,

charles

Comment

Have you tried raising the DRAM voltage + .05 and the CPU/NB + .07. With that CPU are you looking for 1600 or 1333 sticks and did you want 2x2GB or 2x4GB

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Hi - I have tried raising the voltages. I raised the DRAM voltage up to 1.6 and the CPU/NB up to 1.2. I don't think Windows even loaded (died during windows fly-in sequence).

I have 2 sets of the F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL sticks (4x2GB sticks). The plan was to run 4 DIMMS for a total of 8GB. My primary goal is a stable system. I don't mind pulling back to 1333 to get a stable system. At this point, I'm surprised the system has become unstable with 2 DIMMS.

Spent a couple of hours in MemTest with no errors. I'll continue to run it overnight.

thanks,

charles

Comment

Let us know how the test go

Tman

Comment

Hi - What a strange day of testing. Results are:

Put all 4 memory sticks in the PC. Booted MemTest+ and ran for 16 hours with no errors. I was surprised to see MemTest report that the memory was running at 1333MHz. BIOS is set to AUTO. Ran the memory at 1.52V. The BIOS AI Overdrive is set at 2%. Everything else AUTO. Test results: SUCCESS

Ran computer for 12 hours running various games, video encoders, and AMD Overdrive (AOD) stress test with no problems. Used same BIOS settings as above. Running the video encoding on 4 cores raised the CPU temp to 42C. Set video encoding affinity to 2 cores and CPU temps dropped to 32C. I need to upgrade the stock CPU fan. Test results: SUCCESS

System seemed pretty stable so I was surprised when it BSOD as it was shutting down. The system would not POST again until I removed 3 memory sticks. Test results: FAILURE

Could this be a bad MoBo? Bad CPU? I think I ruled out the power supply when I upgraded the original 450W power supply with a 750W power supply.

thanks,

charles

Comment

Could check the CPU and it's seating, make sure no thermal compound in there and no bent pins....might try raising the vCore just a tad, say + .03.....not sure what PSU you have, but could try a different one if available (say 600 or better) or if you can borrow one.....possible it's CPU or mobo, my guess would lean to mobo of the two.........actually as stable as it was then BSOD on shutdown might also run SFC /SCANNOW from the command prompt to see if a corrupt system file or driver

Tman

Comment

Working...
                X