Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got my 24GB RAM working!...what to do with the over 16GB in Win7HP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my 24GB RAM working!...what to do with the over 16GB in Win7HP?

Hello G.Skill folks!!

After reading these forums and seeing the very helpful support that the G.Skill staff is providing I decided to take the plunge and upgrade from my 6GB of Mushkin RAM.

Once upon a time I purchased my 3x2G kit with the intention of buying another kit at a later date. Well that later date is now but having read about so much grief trying to add a different kit to an existing kit I opted to pull the existing 6GB kit. Not wanting to make the same mistake of assumign I could get the same kit at a later date to move from 12GB to 24GB I purchased (2)F3-12800CL9T-12GBRL (6x4G kits weren't available locally). I picked to kits with consecutive serial number and they came up first try, Kudos to G.Skill!!!

I knew when I purchased the 24GB kit that my Windows 7 Home Premium would only be able to manage 16GB. I noticed Tradesman's comments in other threads about using the excess ram for a RamDisk and have read comments on many other forums suggesting this as an option. The problem I'm having is that this seems much easier to suggest than actually do. I've looked at every Ramdisk software I can find and although some looked promising like "Superspeed RamDisk Plus" with their claim to allow access to "unmanaged memory", the fineprint and manual show that this claim applies to allowing access to memory above 3.2GB (up tp 64GB) in 32bit versions of windows. This feature doesn't seem to apply to "unmanaged memory" in 64bit Win7HP.

Have any of you been able to use a Ramdisk product to utilize the excess ram above 16GB as a ramdisk in Win7 Home Premium?

Not positive about the 'unmanaged' memory, but here's an article that provides links to about a dozen software packages:

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/...d-write-speed/

With the price of some of the better RAMDisk software, might consider an upgrade to Professional or Ultimate Win7

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks Tradesman,

I'm struggling with handing M$ $90+ just to allow access to additional ram since I see no other beneficial features to Pro or Ultimate. It's more out of principal than anything else. It really irritates me that M$ didn't increase the RAM limitations for Home and Home Premium between the Vista and Win7 releases. Win7 was released 3 years after Vista with the same ram limitations. Shame on M$

Comment

I agree on the MS issue, w/ 16GB max, sort of makes 'Premium' a bit of a misnomer

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
        X