Memory for MSI 990FXA-GD-80

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory for MSI 990FXA-GD-80

What memory would you recommend for use with the MSI 990FXA-GD80 MB with the AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition CPU? The system will be used for both gaming and as a software development workstation.

I was looking at these so far (Probably going to get 4 x 4GB sticks):

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-8GBXH
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231431

or

G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231460

or

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231456

I have no issues with the height of the heat spreads on the memory. Since it's water cooled, i have no giant heat sink to get in the way. Would like a minimum of DDR3 1600, with no maximum. I the max for the board, however, is 2133. However, considering the thread describing issues with the Phenom II CPU's, I probably won't have an issue if i have to drop down to 1333 with a lower CAS.

I'm not an OC'er, but I'm also not adverse to doing it as long as the system remains stable.

Here's my current setup:
    Win 7
    MSI 990FXA-GD80
    AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE
    Water cooled CPU (only CPU)
    2 x GeForce GTS 250 SLI (Wil be replacing with 2 x Radeon 6000 Models)
    1000W Cooler Master

The reason I selected those three above is because they were some of the few GSkills that were listed in the MSI Memory Test Report (http://us.msi.com/file/test_report/TR10_2400.pdf) for that MB that NewEgg carries. I'm sure more memory works with the board, just not sure which, hence I was hoping for some input from the experts

Obviously I want the best bang for my buck, I don't need top of the line as I'll never be able to fully utilize it, but I also don't want bottom of the barrel either. I'm looking for something that is above "Mid" level but not exactly the best of the best stuff. I guess if you broke it down on a scale from 1 - 10, 10 being best of the best, i would be looking at the 6-8 range.

Thanks for any input you can provide!

Oh yea, it would be nice if the memory sticks had blue heat spreaders to match the computer too hehe
    Last edited by PanthersDen; 10-28-2011, 03:12 PM. Reason: fixed grammar

The 1600's would be the best overall performance wise, if you can get them to run at stock CL7, both 1866 sets might take a bit to run at 1866, at 1600 though you could prob run them at CL8....the 965 is sort of the entry level for AMD at 1600.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks

So this is probably the one I should go with then? And if I decide to go with 4 x 4GB's @ 1600 CAS 7, do you believe that is going to be an issue?

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-8GBXH

This one is listed in the MSI file as being compatible, however, is there an identical stick like this that is all blue and would work flawlessly, or at least as good as, the one listed above?

When I get around to upgrading to the x8 CPU, would it be worth my trouble to get a higher freq memory or would it just be best to stick with the 1600 @ CAS 7?

Thanks again!

Comment

For a 1600 16GB kit or higher, you're going to be looking at CL9 I think, especially for your CPU, something like the F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXM (blue) might go, will take extra DRAM and CPU/NB voltage for the 16 GB (again AMD's MC on the weak side...if really thinking 16GB and 1600 or faster, on the AMD side you could look to the new Dull Dozer i.e. FX 8150, but if you really want to go fast and have it handle memory well and run much cooler (OC better, etc) go Intel with the 2500K (it's cheaper also - have built a number of 2500K based systems and picked up one of the first FX 8150 Dull Dozers...it couldn't touch the 2500K

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I see, so I guess with this current build, I'm better off just sticking with 8GB's.

I'll probably just do that, have to think it over some.

Oh, so does the 8GB one come in all blue as well?

Comment

Yes it does, can take a gander here

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231431

Just talked to Tman, he'll prob be off for a bit, working a database

Comment

Yea, that's the one i have linked int eh first post. was hoping to find it in all blue, the full heat spreader so it matches the rest of my system Can't really see the blue if it's only on the sides. hehe

Comment

There's the -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231445

in CAS 8, which may be about the best you can go with your CPU at 1600

Comment

Good call Jammer, that was what I meant when I said if they could be made to run at CL7 on the CL7 set, the 965 can run 1600 and even at CL7 but generally need the extra voltage, which means more heat (if the particular 965 can do it)

Tman

Comment

Well I'm glad I waited to buy the memory sticks otherwise I would've bought 4 x 4GB CAS 7 sticks and would've been pulling my hair out right about now trying to get it running

Guess I'll get these here that you recommended (in blue):

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM

How hard do you think it would be to run 4 of these and still keep it at 1600 CAS 8? Is it worth trying?

Comment

Might well be able to, might take experimentation, keep us in mind, and yell out, we'll be glad to help

Tman

Comment

Sounds positive enough to give it a try I'll buy those CAS 8's sticks then and give it a whirl and see what happens. thanks for all the help

Comment

Keep us updated, someones generally around off and on dur the day

Tman

Comment

Got the memory in and plugged it in, default it's running at 1333 @ CAS 13. hehe Changed the freq to 1600 with voltage just set to auto and it's at CAS 11.

Guess it'll take some work to get it close to CAS 8.
                            Last edited by PanthersDen; 11-02-2011, 07:46 PM.

Comment

It'll have to be set up manually, see the sticky here:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=7688

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X