Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

F3-12800cl9d-8gbsr2 vs F3-12800cl8d-8gbxm which is better to overclock with i5-2500k?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-12800cl9d-8gbsr2 vs F3-12800cl8d-8gbxm which is better to overclock with i5-2500k?

Hello, I am new to the computer building and overclocking scene. I have recently upgraded my computer by purchasing a new motherboard, processor, and RAM. The rest of my hardware are from my old computer. My Computer:

Asus p8z68 v-pro Motherboard
    Intel core i5-2500k Processor
    G.skill Sniper Low Voltage Series DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 1.25v RAM
    Nvidia geforce 8800 GT GPU
    Western digital caviar black 640gb HDD
    A 750w Power Supply (not sure of the brand, need to take it out of my case to find out)

The RAM I have purchased was the G.skill Sniper Low Voltage Series ram sticks (F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2) DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 @ 1.25v stock settings. However, upon receiving my RAM sticks I came across another pair of ram sticks from G.skill (F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM ) DDR3-1600 8-8-8-24 @ 1.5v stock settings.

I am wondering which set of RAM sticks are better for overclocking? I will be overclocking once I get sufficient cooling for my components. I see on the G.skill website that the 1.5v ram sticks were made specifically for the Sandy Bridge processors, is this the case as well for the low voltage series ram sticks? Is 1.5v the optimal voltage to overclock with my i5-2500k processor? I do know that you should not exceed 1.65v on the ram voltage or you may damage the processor, but are the Low Voltage ram sticks capable of going from 1.25v to 1.65v and will there be any difference in on-paper performance? I also hear that with the Sandy Bridge processors, you can't really overclock ram is this true? I just want to know which ram sticks around this price range is optimal to overclock with my processor and motherboard, so if there are other ram sticks I should consider besides these two please let me know. I am curious, will there be a decrease in performance if I have 4x 4gb of these rams in my motherboard over the dual channel 2x 4gb? I am still debating if I should have 8gb or 16gb of ram for my computer, but for my questions above let's assume I stick with 8gb total. Thank you.

One final question, I'm not sure if this is correct but when I go into my BIOS I noticed that my low voltage series ram sticks were running at 1.35v. I lowered it to 1.25v and restarted my computer but it was processing everything very slowly so I changed it back to the AUTO setting (which automatically sets it to 1.35v) and the speed returned to my system. Is there a reason for this?
    Last edited by dbwy00; 10-28-2011, 06:53 AM.

The CL8 RipJaws X should be better.

The low voltage kit is for the Sandybridge platforms as well. 1.50V is the standard voltage, but it can go up to 1.65V. The actual voltage used simply depends on how you overclock the memory, what frequency and timings. Sandybridge platforms you can surely overclock RAM. On any performance platform it can be overclocked, it's designed for people like us. The cheaper "power saving" motherboards and i3 CPUs are the ones that aren't really worth overclocking, but it can still be done. On the Sandybridge platform, we have reached fairly high overclocks.

We currently hold the #5 spot in the world with your CPU

DDR3-3400

N? 5 : SuperPIG reached 1699.9 MHz with 4096 MB of G.Skill Memory [Details]

MB : Asus P8P67 (Intel Sandy Bridge rev 09) - CPU : Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3399.65 MHz

Is that enough to prove you can overclock?

The CL8 kit you are looking at is very good, we have other kits like the CL7, but pricing takes a large leap.

4 x 4GB doesn't decrease performance, but it does place a greater load on your memory controller. Your maximum overclock will be lower, but I don't think that's what you're trying to do any way. The CPU can support 4 high performance modules without affecting performance under DDR3-2133.

As far as the 1.25V memory requiring 1.35V, it must be slightly out of spec. Try overclocking the memory and see what it can do.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thank you for your expedited response.

That's unfortunate, I thought my Low Voltage RAM kit should be able to run at those specifications without trouble but it's okay, I returned the Sniper Low Voltage Series RAM kit for 2 kits of the 2 x 4gb CS8 Ripjaws X Series RAM sticks I am a beginner overclocker so I'm not going to be too adventurous when it comes pushing my components to high speeds and heat so 4 x 4gb sticks should be fine. I believe my motherboard can't support ram speeds over 2200 anyway. I have a question, on newegg.com for my motherboard I see this for memory:

"
      Memory

Number of Memory Slots
      4?240pin

Memory Standard
      DDR3 2200(O.C.)*/2133(O.C.)/1866(O.C.)/1600/1333/1066

Maximum Memory Supported
      32GB

Channel Supported
      Dual Channel
      "

For memory standard, does this mean I have to overclock my memory or overclock my motherboard (can you even overclock motherboards? o.O) can the CS8 Ripjaws X series overclock to ddr3-2133 or ddr3-2200? I'm aware that for me to achieve higher clock rates (frequencies?) I may need to loosen up the timings/latency along with increasing voltage. I read somewhere online that said that faster clock rates + looser timings usually always trumps slower clock rates + tighter timings because bandwidth is most important, is this true?

Thanks again.

Comment

With the CL8, 1600 Ripjaws X, I don't think it would be a problem to go 1866 anyway, maybe at 9-9-9-28 or possibly 9-10-9-28, much higher you'd need CL10 and performance would prob drop below 1866 plus tou'd need extra DRAM and VCCIO voltages.
        Last edited by Tradesman; 10-31-2011, 11:26 AM.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

If you get something like this, F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL, you can try DDR3-2200 9-11-11-30 1.65V

The Sandybridge platform can use high bandwidth, so it is beneficial, but some platforms like AMD, tighter timings is generally better.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Can my motherboard even support: F3-14900CL9Q-16GBX? As I was asking in my previous post, do I have to overclock my RAM/Motherboard (can you even overclock a motherboard?) to be able to use the higher clock speeds (1866, 2133, 2200)? And if so, which do I overclock?

Thanks again.

Comment

Yes, you have a very good motherboard, very new technology.

The F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL will be perfectly compatible.

You can not overclock the motherboard, you overclock the CPU and memory. Your CPU is unlocked, so hopefully it will not be too difficult. First, overclock the memory, then you can overclock the CPU easily.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

I see. Is there a reason why under the specs for my motherboard it says:

Memory Standard
                DDR3 2200(O.C.)*/2133(O.C.)/1866(O.C.)/1600/1333/1066

What is the (O.C.) after the 1866, 2133, and 2200?

By the way, when do I overclock my GPU? Before or after the memory or CPU?

Thanks again.

Comment

The (OC) means that an OverClock is required with most CPUs for the DRAM to run at spec speed, if you have say 1866 sticks, then as a possible start point with the 2500K, I'd set them up to spec and speed for 1866, set your CPU multiplier to around 40 or so and good to go....if you decide to OC the GPU it's up to you, it's not tied in to the DRAM and CPU which are tightly tied

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

i have 2 sets..16 gbs of f3-12800cl8d-8gbxm. i2500k at 4.8 ghz and 2 gtx 570sc's clocked at 840-1680-2000. im wondering if i oc these kits to 1866 will i be able to notice or is 1600 already an overclock from the 1333 fsb of my cpu

Comment

At 4.8 you already have a good OverClock on the CPU, and yes if you overclock the memory to 1866 you'll be able to see a difference, depending on what you do, but you can use a program like the one Tman often brings up, MaxxMem to see what your memory speeds - in MB per second - currently are and then what they are when OCed to 1866.

Comment

thank you for the reply and info

Comment

Let us know how it goes

Tman

Comment

well i have a asrock p67 extreme 4..awesome board. i use the system for gaming, any suggestions on the timings?

Comment

Good mobo, I'd simply start at 9-9-9-24 or maybe even 8-10-9-25, CR 2T, DRAM at 1.55 and may need to raise VCCIO slightly + .04 or so as a start

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X