• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Believe They Damaged CPU

CPU - AMD PhenomII X4 955 BE
    Motherboard - MSI 870A-G54
    Graphics - ATI 5750
    OS - Win 7 home prem

Before leaving for work this morning, used this machine flawlessly. Before installing the F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL memory, checked my mail . . . no problems.

Shut down system. Removed WORKING Kingston 1333 ram. Installed F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL ram in the same memory slots.

System will not boot. Windows 7 stops at "Starting Windows" screen, before the color graphics appear. Also have an HDD with XP which had been installed on this machine. Still would not boot. So, removed the GSkill ram and replaced the Kingston ram in its slots.

System still will not boot. Cannot even boot from the Win 7 DVD, Win XP CD, Win 98 CD or any of the several Linux Live CD's on hand.

This is unacceptable. I have set the bios to fail safe defaults. Back to optimized defaults (has run that way for 9 months) but NOTHING WORKS!!!

Would love to contact GSkill, but of course there's no chat, no US numbers . . . and it takes HOURS to get approved to post in the forum.

Since I run my business on this computer (having to use my laptop to comment here), I can't afford to wait for very long.

I believe, since I cannot boot to ANY OS with even the known good memory that the CPU has been damaged.

I tried the settings in the other post directed at AMD systems, but it does not work at all.

H E L P ! ! !

Have you tried restting the CMOS via the jumper on the motherboard?
    Their contact info is on the Contact page of their web site, www.gskill.com, e-mail is ustech@gskillusa.com, phone is 1-909-598-6860

As far as approving new members this is done manually as the site, like many forums, is a target for Spammers, the registration log shows you registering at 5:41 PM and I approved you between 6:20 and 6:40, have no idea how long it took for the email to actually go out and you to get it, but your post was about 2 hours and 16 minutes after registering......at times it may be faster or slower for approval, I've seen sites, where it's 24 or more hours, others automate everything and often get hit with Spammers, which is a dis-service to members who hate it....which is why everyone is checked manually.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Tried resetting the bios early on.

Have finally gotten this machine going (within the last 15 minutes) . . . Perhaps letting it sit idle for the last 2 hours helped, don't know.

Haven't put a load on it since getting it back, but do need to avoid unfamiliar products in the future. I only sell (another brand) in my shop, but the price was so low, I thought I would take a chance . . . and got snakebit.

Doesn't make sense, but all that matters is it is working. Now, to get a refund . . .

If GSkill isn't "out of the box" compatible with AMD, you probably should say that on the label and in the ads. Maybe even make it a selling point.

Comment

I've used those sticks on numerous AMD builds, biggest problem here may be the 955 really can't handle 1600 sticks...anyway without setting up for them, there's sticky on setting up 1600 sticks here:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=7688

Generally I normally recommend a minimum of a 965 Rev C3 for 1600, as I believe does GSkill, but people look at a mobo and sees it says it'll run 1600, 1866, etc and they expect to be able to do it with any AMD CPU. Generally that's not a problem with Intel CPUs, even older generations of their CPUs, i.e. socket 775 chips, but AMD has always had a weak MC (memory controller and therefore they suffer a variety of limitations as to the DRAM they can run, this is one of the ways AMD keeps their prices down and has been for years

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

There's nothing wrong with the modules, you can use them at lower settings as well. This information is posted everywhere, so it should be known. Especially on this G.Skill forum its everywhere; there is an announcement and sticky about it in addition to all the user threads.

In other words, it's like buying sports car, then wondering why the car accelerates so fast?? You can drive it slower, but you have to be easy on the pedal. If you have a heavy foot, you may go faster than what you can handle, and that could lead to a crash.

Luckily you didn't crash, you just are just hesitant to learn how to feather the pedal and drive slower.

If you would like help setting it up properly, we're right here, but we need you to cooperate to input the settings since we don't have the computer.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH
          Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 10-27-2011, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
            There's nothing wrong with the modules, you can use them at lower settings as well. This information is posted everywhere, so it should be known. Especially on this G.Skill forum its everywhere; there is an announcement and sticky about it in addition to all the user threads.
            There is an announcement and sticky on the forum . . . True.

Unfortunately, I had no reason to be here as I did not own any of your product at the time.

The BIGGEST PROBLEM is the fact that there is NO WARNING in you sales copy.

I let the system cool for several hours, and after replacing the original ram in the first two slots, I tried to boot. Finally was able to get the machine to boot.

I figured, what the hell, I'll take another chance . . . So, I shut down the computer and I placed the GSkill ram back in the machine . . . in the SECOND set of slots, and set the memory to run as per the email I received. My system is running, but hangs occasionally.

Since I do quite a bit of gaming on this machine as well, I decided to give it a try.

Even in the very old game Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2, the system will hang randomly.

If it's such a thoroughbred bit of electronics, why does it have trouble with a 10 year old video game?

Comment

Have you tried the sticks at 1333 with tighter timings? As stated before the 955 doesn't really do 1600. Don't feel bad, as many people have experienced the same dilemma, it has long been a gripe of mine, motherboard and DRAM makers test their components with tthe others they can get their hands on....what is never mentioned is generally all of them use the highest rated CPUs they can get their hands on...but it's never mentioned and to be quite honest it would be about impossible to check all the various mobo/DRAM combinations possible, let alone add in all the possible CPUs that could run together. what's now a 1-3 page QVL list from a mobo maker would jump to 25-75 pages or better, driving costs up.

There's long been a 'problem' with AMD having weak MCs (memory controllers) and individual limitations on DRAM by CPU, and AMD doesn't generally release the info i.e. CPUs that can't run 1066, others that can on run 1066 in 1 stick per channel, others that can run 4 1066 sticks but may be limited to 8GB total, others can run 16GB.....ditto with 1333, same w/ 1600, 1866, etc.

Systems today require research or input from experienced builders (especially w/ AMD, Intel is much stronger and has greater laitude for builds, thus since Intel puts more into R&D their prices are higher while AMD keeps costs down and lower prices)

Tman

Comment

The email I received from tech support read (in part) as follows:

To begin troubleshooting, reset the BIOS. Unplug or shut off power to the power supply. Remove the silver battery on the motheboard. Wait a couple seconds, then put it back in. Turn the power back on for the power supply, but do not start the computer.

Install one module in the initial memory slot. (Should be the blue slot, or black slot nearest the CPU). Boot up and get into BIOS.

There is a Cell Menu page for you to adjust all settings.

Look for FSBRAM Ratio, set this to 1: 3.33

Then select Advance DRAM Configuration, and press enter.

Set tCL 8 - tRCD 8 - tRP 8 - tRAS 24
                Command Rate or Command Timing (DRAM Timing Mode) to 2T

F10, save, exit, then see if that boots up. If it does, shut down, install the other module in the other same colored slot.
                These are the current settings under which I am running this memory . . . random freezes and all.

Comment

If those settings are unstable, test one module at a time. Something must be defective causing a problem.

If you can, post pictures of the BIOS and we can confirm everything is detected and set correctly.

The issue can be due to bad memory or bad settings, so that is what we need to determine at this point. Once we get both down, you will see that it is a good performing kit. If you wanted plug and play, hassle free installation, DDR3-1333 CL9 is the highest you should get.

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                  X