Help choosing 16gb kit for Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help choosing 16gb kit for Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3

I'm building a pc with the Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 and Core i7 2600k. I'm trying to decide which ram to buy. I'm looking at 16gb because when I'm not playing games, I have several Virtual Machines running. Currently, I'm looking at the following 2 kits. Specwise they look almost the same. Other than the heatsink, the only difference I can see is that the Ripjaws is a Quad Channel Kit and the Snipers is a Dual Channel Kit. My motherboard is only dual channel if that helps. Is there any benefit of one over the other?

F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231478

or

F3-12800CL9Q-16GBSR1
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231480

Of the two both will work, some say the low voltage are better for OCing, so the Snipers may be a real good pick, thus far I've stuck with the Snipers in 1.5 and been thrilled with them

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I guess since they both will work and both are 1.35v kits, I just need to decide which heatsinks I want. I like the blue ripjaws, but I need to make sure it will clear the CPU Heatsink. Oh decisions.

Thanks for the input Tradesman.

Comment

No problem, let us know what you pick and how you lie the sticks

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Settled on the F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXM Ripjaws kit.

Ok, so I bought the F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXM low voltage Ripjaws from Newegg. I finally had enough time this weekend to get the system assembled. The only problem I had with the memory, really wan't a problem with the memory, it was a clearance issue with my Zalman CNPS12X and the top of the Ramsinks of the 2 closest dimms to the CPU. I happened to have some Ramsinks from an older set of GSkill DDR2 dimms which also were blue, so it even color matched to keep the bling even.

I went into the bios on the Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 and set it to XMP, it loaded the profile perfectly. All timings were set to what is listed in the specs and is running without any problems.

Thanks for a great product.

Bob.

Comment

Glad to hear it, let the thermal compound cure for a few days, then can really crank that 2600K up....Enjoy!

Tman

Comment

I'm being gentle right now, I only have it at 4.3ghz. But the Asus oc tuner feature in the bios set it to 4.8ghz as a safe overclock. Once it burns in, I'll put it back to 4.8 and see how it does. Its running at 23c idle to around 30c with a load right now.

edit... Ambient room temp is 78F.

Comment

Sounds good (4.3), and yes 4.8 is a safe OC, but it's a good idea to let your Thermal compound cure, set up before heading that high, while it is 'safe', the compound hasn't really set in yet, unless you used one of the fast setting ones (which I personally haven't found one I'm real happy with yet)

Tman

Comment

Working...
                X