2x4GB DDR3 and Asus P5E3 Motherboard Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2x4GB DDR3 and Asus P5E3 Motherboard Setup

Hi I am running windows 7 64. For some reason I am having issues with BSOD and random crashes. I believe it may be due to my setup as I had issues prior to upgrading. Could someone tell me if I have my memory set up right in bios. The motherboard I am using is an Asus P5E3. I have updated my bios to 1503 as I believe this is the latest version. I will provide pics if somebody could tell me how I can upload them.

P.S The system seems to random crash when I run a game like wow, but when I remove 1 4GB stick from the motherboard it runs fine?? I have tried swopping the sticks amongst each other and across the 4 channels but I still get the same result, this is what is leading me towards my BIOS setup.

Thanks

Rich
    Last edited by trickster77; 10-13-2011, 06:37 AM.

What model is your memory?

To upload pics, it needs to be hosted somewhere, then you can post link here for us to see.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

The pics will help, in the meantime might try raising the NorthBridge voltage + .05 or so, and if you can't get the pics can enter the info, basically looking for Memory settings (timings and voltage) as well as system voltages

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Hi all, thx for the prompt replys. I will leave a link at the bottom so you can access the pics I have taken of my memory, BIOS and error messages I have been getting. Please be patient as they are a little slow at accessing.

http://trickster77.fileave.com

Tradesman I have not tried your settings yet as you may want to look at the pictures before offering a more indepth solution.

Thanks

Richard

Comment

If it's a memory problem, I'd start with my original suggestion, then move to adding .07 to the DRAM voltage.

First though you may want to check all the drivers for your hardware, particularly the GPU (video card), but also sound drivers, etc

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I have tried your advice adding the voltage to both the NB and my DRAM. This seems to of corrected the issues of random crashes. I will give it a few days and confirm back to you wether the crashes have been cured for sure. I just want to say a massive thx for your help so far.

P.S All drivers for the my GPU (GeForce GTX 560 Ti) are upto date and there are no apparent conflicts within my device manager.

Richard

Comment

Sounds good, let us know

Tman

Comment

Well as I have said before altering the voltages in BIOS seems to of made the system more stable (no more BSOD) when it comes to running games/programs etc. Though I have another issue which I have been getting, I was waiting to see if the above changes alleviated this problem. I am tending to think it is a tossup between my RAM or my PSU. Though this is just a guess. Basicly I get the most random restarts ever (no BSOD in windows). It tends to happen when I first switch the sytsem on. It will start to post then just restart. Sometimes it may come up with 'Over clocking failed! Please enter setup to reconfigure your sytem'. So I go into BIOS and discard changes (leaving NB and DRAM settings I have altered) and restart system. This will happen a number of times before it may allow me to get the windows log in screen. Though it doesnt always stop there. I could be in windows surfing or the machine could be just sitting idle, then all of a sudden it will switch off, without restarting untill I press the power button?? No BSOD or error messages??

Totally at a loss with this one. I know there is a way for checking error messages in windows when you get sudden restarts but I cant remember how you check this, as this may shed more light.

Richard

Comment

New RAM

Hi!

I'm planning to buy a kit of a G.Skill F3-10666CL7D-8GBXH (2*4GB) 1333 MHz, CL7, 1.5V. I'm using a P5E3 Pro motherboard with X48 chipset and a Core2 Quad Q8400 2.66 GHz, FSB 1333 MHz CPU. These parts should be full compatible. As i have read the previous problem was with a P5E3 motherboard which has X38 chipset.
                  Is it possible that i will have the same problem? Do you recommend another kit? (I have read that CL7 is better than CL9, so i would like to use that one.)

Thanks.

Comment

trickster77,

For the error messages, often you can google them and get an idea, As far as the power on and restarts, could try increases DRAM and NB each a bit more and/or see if you have or can borrow a different PSU with a good rating to it as far as power (i.e. at least equal to or better than what you have)

czpetike

Next time pls start a new thread, but as to your question those should work fine, ensure your mobo has the latest BIOS

Tman

Comment

czpetike,

No, it will NOT work. The first chipset to fully support 4GB modules is P45.

Thank you
                      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thank you!
                        I was not sure about that. QVL list doesn't contain any 4GB modules, only a kit of 2 or 3 2GB modules. So i have to buy 4*2GB. CL7 shouldn't be a problem, right?

Comment

That was my fault, had specs for the wrong mobo pulled up

Tman

Comment

Yes, 4*2GB CL7 should be fine.

Thank you
                            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                            X