Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will this upgrade work with in tri-channel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this upgrade work with in tri-channel?

Hey everyone,

I was really digging for information and I think I came to a conclusion that my desktop:

HP Pavallion Elite 170f.
    Currently has 9GB of RAM: DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500)
    (3 x 2GB)
    (3 X 1GB)

could use an upgrade with the RAM below.

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Desktop Memory Model F3-8500CL7D-8GBRL

+

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Desktop Memory Model F3-8500CL7S-4GBRL

My questions is?

The mobo on my desktop says Tri-channel, so does that mean I absolutely need at least three sticks to run properly, which I plan on having (3 x 4GB on channel 1,3 and 5)?
    Last edited by binici; 10-10-2011, 04:44 PM. Reason: title

You could try that, though there's no guarantee the sticks will work together, for it to work will prob have to play w/ voltages and timings - and then it might not work. Might take a look at something like:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231356

which is a triple channel set, though it's 1333 if you want to run 1066 would prob run CL8
    Last edited by Tradesman; 10-11-2011, 03:21 PM.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
      You could try that, though there's no guarantee the sticks will work together, for it to work will prob have to play w/ voltages and timings - and then it might not work. Might take a look at something like:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231356

which is a triple channel set, though it's 1333 if you want to run 1066 would prob rub CL8
      Interesting. Even though they are the same specs, just one "says" dual kit and the other is a single module?

I assume all will be revealed onec I do an install and run CPU-Z...

Thanks!

Comment

As I said they may....or may not work....even with the same model of sticks they may have slight differences as a result of different production runs, different lots of components used in the runs, etc. which may or may not play together, and most often can me made to play by adjustments to voltages and/or timings, but not always. The different size/amount of DRAM in a package is done so the sticks are tested to work together. In an ideal world, where all sticks come out exactly, perfectly identical they would just sell all the sticks individually and let folks buy as many as they want, but since it's not, they offer 1,2,3,4,6,8,12,16,and 24GB sets

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
          As I said they may....or may not work....even with the same model of sticks they may have slight differences as a result of different production runs, different lots of components used in the runs, etc. which may or may not play together, and most often can me made to play by adjustments to voltages and/or timings, but not always. The different size/amount of DRAM in a package is done so the sticks are tested to work together. In an ideal world, where all sticks come out exactly, perfectly identical they would just sell all the sticks individually and let folks buy as many as they want, but since it's not, they offer 1,2,3,4,6,8,12,16,and 24GB sets
          Oh, I love that in-depth answer. Thanks, now I understand

One more question. I emailed Tech Support for information about this kit and my mobo:

Memory upgrade information
          Triple channel memory architecture
          Six 240-pin DDR3 DIMM sockets
          Supports PC3-8500 (DDR3-1066) DIMM types
          Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
          Supports 4 GB DDR3 DIMMs
          Supports up to 24 GB on 64-bit PCs
          Supports up to 4 GB* on 32-bit PCs

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9T-12GBRL

Would the above work? They emailed me saying that is what I should be using? Would the speed be reduced?

Thanks again!

Comment

That's the same Ripjaws set I suggested (glad they are thinking the same as me), which also indicates they have probably tested the sticks with your mobo

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X