Which memory 8Gb XM/XL is better ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which memory 8Gb XM/XL is better ?

1 - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL9D-8GBXM

Timing 9-11-10-28 declared by the manufacturer !

What Real Timing 2133 Mhz XMP Profile ?
    (P8Z68 Deluxe Sandy Bridge)

2 - G.SKILL Ripjaws X + Turbulence II Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL9D-8GBXLD

Timing 9-11-9-28 declared by the manufacturer !

Real Timing 2133 Mhz XMP Profile 9-12-9-29
    Foto - http://www.almodi.org/images/stories...bxld/cpuz4.png

Hello Mark,

For non benching day to day applications you will not notice any difference in system performance between these two RAM sets. If you intend to bench mark your system you should choose the # 2 set. Otherwise buy the less costly one.

I own the RAM 2 set and it is serving me well see my signature for details. The SPD timing you link to for this RAM set are old an can only be achieved on a few lucky RAM pairs with higher DRAM and VTT voltages. 1T operation will be dependant on you getting a outstanding CPU and Ram Pair. Hope for it but don't depend on it. Expect timings of 9-11-9-28 at 2T and 1.65 for set # 2.

Best regards,
    Windows7 Ultimate SP1 - 64bit
    i7-2600K-D2 @ 4.5G-1.37V, Cooler ? Corsair H70
    Gigabyte P67A-UD7 B3 ? BIOS F5
    8GB Gskill F3-17000CL9D-8GBXLD@ 2133 9-11-9-28-2T-1.65V
    Power Color Radeon 6990 @ 880x1250 MHz
    Corsair 1000 W
    LianLi Armor Suit PC-80
    Creative Audigy 2Z Card
    WD Raptor 600K, Samsung F3/1Tera
    LiteOn iHBS 212, Sansung SH-S203N

Comment

Biggest difference between the two sets (with the exception of the fan/cooler add on) is the ICs/chips on the sticks, the first set F3-17000CL9D-8GBXM actually has a higher performance potential, hence the M at the end of the model #, which is for Medium vs the L on the second set which is for Low

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by TigerLi View Post
        Hello Mark,

For non benching day to day applications you will not notice any difference in system performance between these two RAM sets. If you intend to bench mark your system you should choose the # 2 set. Otherwise buy the less costly one.

I own the RAM 2 set and it is serving me well see my signature for details. The SPD timing you link to for this RAM set are old an can only be achieved on a few lucky RAM pairs with higher DRAM and VTT voltages. 1T operation will be dependant on you getting a outstanding CPU and Ram Pair. Hope for it but don't depend on it. Expect timings of 9-11-9-28 at 2T and 1.65 for set # 2.

Best regards,
        Thank You

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
          Biggest difference between the two sets (with the exception of the fan/cooler add on) is the ICs/chips on the sticks, the first set F3-17000CL9D-8GBXM actually has a higher performance potential, hence the M at the end of the model #, which is for Medium vs the L on the second set which is for Low
          Thanks

Comment

Ordered this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231476

Comment

Hello Tradesman,

For my personal edification could you elaborate a bit on the higher potential offered by the ICs/chips on the F3-17000CL9D-8GBXM. What actually is that advertised higher performance potential?

Both memory stick sets are certified to operate in dual Channel ops @ 2133 MHZ. The basic timings of RAM set # 1 are slightly looser than those of RAM set # 2 (9-11-10-28-2T vice 9-11-9-28-2T). This would indicate a very slight bandwidth advantage in favour of set #2 at certified Gskill settings with a Sandy B system.

Can you express the potential gain in MB/s. I get a bandwidth of 34,133 MB/s @ 2133 MHz with RAM set 2 at auto XMP settings (38X- FSB ratio 32:3). What would RAM set # 1 one provide as a bandwidth?

Thank you,
              Corsair 1000 W
              LianLi Armor Suit PC-80
              Creative Audigy 2Z Card

Comment

TigerLi

Gskill doesn't release the actual memory chips used for the various sets, but both the Ripjaws and Ripjaws X lines were released at various frequencies I.e. 1333, 1600, 1866, etc and CAS sets, for the most part in three separate sets within each freq, the models are noted at the end of the model # with an L, M, of H to help differentiate the performance potential of L=low, M=medium and H=high. To provide the additional info you requested as to bandwidth, spec performance, etc I would need the specific sets of sticks to test with, since I don't work for GSkill, and maintain but a modest stock of various sticks, primarily for upgrades, you'll have to check w/ Gskill on that, I'll drop them a line with your questions and see if they can answer come Mon or Tues once they return from the weekend.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Hello Tradesman,

Thank you for your reply. I understand that you cannot state the max bandwidth readings for RAM set #1. I also now know the interpretation the M vice L suffixes at the end of the part numbers of both RAM sets.

What I do not understand is how a RAM set annotated with a higher potential (M suffix) can have looser certified timings than one with only a low potential (L suffix in part #). RAM quality and actual performance is normally indicated by the speed it can reached as well as the tightness of its timings. (Higher MHz X tighter timings = > Bandwidth)

I personally would be quite hesitant to recommend a RAM buy on the basis of an M or L suffix annotation with a mysterious potential that I cannot explain. Specially when certified OEM RAM timings and max MHZ indicate little if any significant max potential bandwidth differential between them.

Thank you for your quick response and all the time you expand to help all us in this forum.
                  Corsair 1000 W
                  LianLi Armor Suit PC-80
                  Creative Audigy 2Z Card

Comment

I agree it can be puzzling, but am thinking when say a they get in a couple of production lots and begin testing them, there are going to be chips that are better than others and get designated for higher performance sticks as the will actually run faster than specced (i.e. in the DDR2 era, that is where sticks like the 900 and 1000 designations came from either 800s that could run much faster than stock 800 or 1066 sticks that could just barely run 1066 or couldn't quite pass at 1066. These at 2133 may well OC rather well or even possibly be able to be dropped to 2000 (or whatever and run CL8 (which may well have higher performance at 2000 than stock 2133 at CL9

Tman

Comment

Tman,

You hit the nail on the head. The "M" designation is an initial potential assignment made by engineers based on components assembled and partial batch testing. Further Testing is then conducted and a final retail specifications is then assigned to each part number. In this case (9-11-10-28 and 2T @ 1.65) . At this time Potential is now longer a player since we know what the RAM is capable of.

The RAM business is extremely competitive and smart business like Gskil will not underrate a product they sell since it would be very poor marketing. The M or L designations are of no value to customers since the RAM has been fully tested and its capabilities determined.

Just imagine trying to get an RMA from Gskill because your RAM set is not meeting the Medium Potential (M) suffix in its part number.

Cheers,
                      Corsair 1000 W
                      LianLi Armor Suit PC-80
                      Creative Audigy 2Z Card

Comment