Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What in the world is wrong with the RAM I bought?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What in the world is wrong with the RAM I bought?

Back in March I bought the F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Ripjaws for my new Sandy Bridge based PC.

The system was this:
    MSI P67A-GD55 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost)
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
    CORSAIR Professional Series HX650 (CMPSU-650HX) 650W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Not counting the video card, case, hard drive and other things.

Anyway, I haven't had any need to push the limits of my system and haven't bothered overclocking. The ram when I first got it wouldn't run at 1600 like it was originally advertised. I knew it may require manually setting voltage and other things so I just ignored it till now. But now with Battlefield 3 coming, as well as the Crysis 2 HD texture pack as well as The Old Republic (though it probably won't push much).

Whenever I tried to set the ram to 1600, the motherboard wouldn't even post. I wasn't sure if it was a motherboard issue or the RAM. So last week I ordered some more of the EXACT SAME model of ram. I decided I'd put it and try to determine what the problem was. I put the two new sticks in Slot 1 and 3, and moved the old sticks to 2 and 4. Still the system would not boot up when I turned on the XMB. So I took the two old sticks out and turned the XMB on i the bios, and sure it enough it booted up running at 1600 with absolutely no problem, it's been running at that speed for the past 12 hours without a BSOD or anything.

Here is screenshots of the info on the ram.
    This is the old ram and it's info: Slots 2 and 4 are identical

And this is the new ram and it's info: Slots 1 and 3 are identical

Both of these are identical ram sticks. They even identify themselves to the motherboard as the same part number. But clearly something is wrong with the old ram because it says it's max bandwidth is lower than it should be.

It's almost as if the original two RAM are really F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL but think they are F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL. I really don't know, I've never run into this issue and want to know how I can get this resolved as soon as possible.

Oh, and just in case someone thinks I bought the wrong ram before or they sent me the wrong one, here is a picture of the sticker that's on both of the original ram sticks.

Comment

What shows under MAX Bandwidth is the settings for default boot so that it should be able to boot up basically any system to enable one to get to the BIOS and set the DRAM to the actual timings and settings, the older sticks were made when the SPDs were programmed for a 1333 default, more and more they are being programmed to a 1600 default.....that explained though, ig you were having trouble before you may have a bad stick of the two originals, suggest you run each of those under Memtest to ensure both are good, and if either tests out bad you can RMA them for an exchange

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I ran the two originals last week using the Windows Memory checking utility. I had it set for two runs and extensive testing and received no errors. That was at 1333 timing setting. I can't even get the system boot with the 1600 setting on those two sticks.

Would Memtest be a better checking utility? I've never really run into a problem where I had to do much memory testing.

Also, when I put all four sticks in, the new sticks when forced to run at 1333 want to run at 11/11/11/30 and the two new ones want to run at 9/9/9/24. Is there a reason for that? Shouldn't the old ones also be running at 11/11/11/30 when at 1333 and only 9/9/9/24 when running at 1600?

Comment

Just use manual settings to see if they can all operate together at rated specifications. The max bandwidth does not matter. Some modules are capable of AUTO defaulting to DDR3-1600, some are only capable of DDR3-1333. Either way doesn't matter because AUTO settings should never be used.

If you have a problem with both kits working together, you will need to send them in for RMA.

ALso, the memory tab is what the memory is actually operating at.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Would these be the correct values?

(9 CL - 9 RCD - 9 RD - 24 RAS - 40 RC - 88 RFC - 5 RRD - 12 WR - 6 WTR - 6 RTP - 20 tFAW)

And are they the same ones stored in the XMB profile? Because I already know with that turned on the, computer won't even post.

Comment

Sorry, I should clarify. When XMB is turned on, the system will not post if the original two sticks are in any slot. But if I take them out and leave only the two new sticks in, then the computer boots up just fine and runs at 1600.

Comment

Ok, I went ahead and tried to boot them up using the manual settings and they still will not boot up at 1600. I used the above numbers and they seemed to match what CPUz has as the xmb profile. But no dice.

So what are my options now? Newegg has a pretty strict 30 day return policy on memory and I bought them back in March or April. Will gskill swap them out themselves or am I just screwed because I didn't bother to OC for 5 months?

Comment

AS gSKILL tECH SAID IF THEY WON'T WORK TOGETHER, YOU CAN RMA THE STICKS, IF IN THE AMERICAS CONTACT RMA@GSKILLUSA.COM ELSE RMA@GSKILL.COM

Info on RMA can be found at

http://www.gskill.com/rma.php

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Ok, thank you for your help. I'll contact the USA RMA people and start the RMA process.

Comment

Let us know how it goes (and you might ref this thread - http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=9099

Tman

Comment

The replacement RAM came yesterday. It looks to be from Jul 2011, hard to tell there is a holographic sticker mostly covering the creation date.

Anyway, I put got it installed fine and it seems to be running perfectly stable @1600 9-9-9-24 with the XMB profile turned on. For some reason Memory-Z in my motherboard is giving me a different set of numbers between the other set of RAM and the replacement set. I guess they just have different JEDEC profiles. It doesn't matter though as long as they're running the XMB profile just fine.

Anyway, thanks for the help. The envelope with the ram didn't have any instructions or anything so I guess I don't need to contact the RMA center or anything.

Comment

Should be good to go, glad to hear it's working fine, occasionally a stick goes bad (thankfully it's very seldom)

Have a gud 1 !

Tman

Comment

Working...
                          X