Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

formula IV/F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM incompatible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• formula IV/F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM incompatible?

Hello. I am having stability issues with g.skill ram, and I am wondering
    if it is compatible with my hardware. I am currently using 16GB of:
    F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM

My motherboard and processor are:
    ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 3.3GHz

Most of the time my system is stable, but I get random blue screens
    once every few days. The random nature of the bsod seems to indicate a
    problem with ram, but I've tested all 4 sticks with memtest and there
    were no errors. I see this ram is marketed for intel chips, but I also
    read it should be fine with am3 boards. However, g.skill's website doesn't
    list my motherboard as compatible with this ram.

I have been plagued with this issue since I built this machine, if I
    can get an answer I would be grateful! Thanks!

Have you manually entered the memory timings & voltage in your bios?
    Running 16GB with all dimms populated will undoubtedly require some advanced bios tweaking.
    First, increase the CPU/NB voltage to around 1.25-1.275v, then test system stability.
    If it persists, try increasing your memory voltage above stock, say around 1.60v to start with.

Keep in mind that you're running unmatched sets, even though they are the same model.
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T@ 4.2GHz
    Corsair H50 Hydro (push/pull intake fans)
    ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    2x4GB G.Skill RipjawsX@ 1975MHz, 9-10-9-28 (2T)
    SLI: 2x EVGA GTX 570's@ 902/1804/2032
    Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
    Corsair HX850W Modular
    Cooler Master HAF 922 (200mm side fan)
    2x Win 7 Home Premium (x64)

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I was actually able to run prime95 all night last night for the first time since I built this machine so I'm hopeful. In addition to upgrading the firmware on my SSD (probably not the issue but still a good idea), I made the following changes:

Although my bios had read the speed correctly, I decided to try the method in the sticky post instead (http://gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=7688). This brought my processor speed to 4GHz which is about what I was looking to run it at. I increased the dram voltage to 1.65, the cpu/nb voltage I kept at automatic as my cpu is a black edition, and should adjust voltage automatically. My bios did read the timings incorrectly so I adjusted them to 8-8-8-24-2T. It is unfortunate that I didn't think to buy 4 matched sticks, but it looks like I may be able to avoid buying more ram.

Comment

Black Edition CPU does not mean it will automatically adjust voltage, it means the multipliers are unlocked so it is easier to adjust frequencies.

It may work without adjusting voltages, but we still recommend testing and setting the voltage manually so the motherboard supplies the correct amount each time. On AUTO, it can be much too high or too low at times.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Apologies, I must have misunderstood. I checked the bios and the cpu/nb voltage was running at 1.271v, that may change though as i planning on pushing the cpu OC a bit further just for fun. I also set the cpu/nb frequency to 2400MHz per a recommendation from g.skill support. Overall though, I was able to run the prime95 blend test for 19+ hours and haven't had a problem. Today I'm running the small fft test, and so long as I don't encounter a problem with that I'll consider this system prime95 stable!

Thanks for all the help

Comment

Glad to hear! Enjoy!

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
            X