XMP profiles causing shut downs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XMP profiles causing shut downs

I am trying to get my ram set up right. I have two sticks of GSKILL Ripjaws F3-12800CL9-2GBRL in slots 1 and 3 (dual-channel) in my motherboard, which is an MSI P55-GD65 with a core i5 750. So first of all, the memory shows up in cpu-z as PC3-10700 667 mhz. Currently memory setting are set to auto in the bios, but I believe the timings are set correctly. When I enabled the XMP profile, I think the ram was set at 800 mhz, but the computer shuts down soon after turning on (not sure if it was blue-screening, it shuts down in an instant). How can I enable the XMP profiles without the computer shutting down?

Do you have the latest BIOS? Should just enable XMP and select the 1600 setting. The PC3-10700 667 is prob what you see in the Max Bandwidth section of the SPD tab, and is nothing more than the settings used for default boot (in the case of a bad crash, most mobos have a BIOS that will default to 1333 (the 10700/667 setting). You'll want to check the memory tab and the double the DRAM Frequency shown in the window (since it's DDR - DOUBLE data rate) to find the speed you are actually running at

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I believe I do have the latest BIOS, but I will update again just to make sure. I have read other forum posts about the memory frequencies and about the differences between the SPD and memory tabs. In cpu-z, it shows my memory frequency as 667 under the memory tab. Will enabling xmp allow my ram to run at 800? How can I get it to run in xmp without crashing?

Comment

Go into the BIOS and enable XMP then select the 800/1600 profile

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

That's the problem. When I enable XMP, the computer shuts down like 20 seconds after it starts up. It won't stay on.

Comment

Figured it out. I had temps at 95+ degrees celcius...vacuumed out my machine, applied a little AS5, now I'm back down to 55 degrees Celsius with xmp.

Now, is it possible someone could explain the difference between auto and advance in my xmp profile?

Comment

Generally Auto provides the primary settings according to programming on the sticks, advanced allows for making advanced changes.

What OC are you running or what cooler/heatsink - 55C seems on the high side.

Tman

Comment

I'm using the stock Intel heatsink. I may get a better one in the future. But still, 55's better than the 95C that I was getting.

Comment

Most definately, but if this is at stock speed it's still very high

Tman

Comment

When I enabled xmp, the processor was overclocked to 3.2 gHz (from 2.67 gHz), so I'm not surprised the temp was bumped up a little bit.

Comment

Yep, because you have a locked memory mulitplier, BCLK 160 jumps your CPU frequency to 3200MHz (BCLK 160 x 10 memory multiplier).

Check to see temps under load, if it is too high, you can lower CPU Ratio slightly. CPU temps should not exceed 80 C under full load.

Thank you
                      GSKILL TECH

Comment

I'm fairly new to overclocking and such. I remember at post the information like you said was displayed. Is my setup optimal? I think my temps may be just slightly high. How would I lower my CPU ratio? And does it have anything to do with my FSB ratio?

Comment

There is a CPU Ratio option in BIOS, it is one of the very first. Right now it is 20X max, so you just need to lower it and your CPU temps will lower as well (under max load).

Cool and Quiet is probably enabled, so the CPU will only heat up when you have a lot of programs and such running at the same time. When you are not doing much, it will lower frequency and stay cool anyway.

FSB Ratio has to do with the bus (host) frequency, but you don't need to adjust this.

Thank you
                          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                          X