Faulty RAM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faulty RAM?

Hi, I acquired a used PC in March which was built late last year. The specs are below:
    -CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
    -Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-790FXTA-UD5
    -RAM: 2 kits of 2GB G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ (DDR3-1600)
    -Video: MSI nVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
    -HD: 300GB (I don't remember the make)

Starting in May, I began to have intermittent problems with corrupt NTFS, failing services, registry corruption, and the dreaded BSODs with bug-check codes of 0x1a (Memory management), 0x4e (PFN list corruption), and 0x50 (page fault in non-paged area), all in ntoskrnl.exe. The issues began to occur more frequently in the last month. What seemed peculiar was that the errors occurred on cold boots, but after a few restarts, the system stabilized. I tried updating drivers, running scan-disk, and memory tests, all coming up negative.

As the problems seemed to be getting worse (first few boot attempts each time), I did some more research, and it seemed to indicate bad RAM, although memory tests continued to come up negative. So I pulled 2 sticks of RAM out of the 3rd and 4th slots. The problems continued. Finally, I pulled the RAM from the 1st and 2nd slots, and replaced them with the 2 sticks I originally removed. Viola, no problems logged in the event viewer and no more BSODs, now since 7/17.

I'm assuming one of the pair I pulled is bad, but before I start the RMA process, I thought I would double check that my conclusion is sound. Am I diagnosing this correctly, or is there something I'm missing?

Thanks,

Dave

Can try running memtest on each stick individually to see if any are bad...if all test okay, would look to raising the DRAM voltage a tad and/or the CPU/NB voltage for stability.....Also if this is something that has just started it's possible the PSU could be going south.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
    X