Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 and F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR

Hello all!

Well, I decided I needed to move up from 4 to 8 GB of RAM, and now I'm in a mess.
    My old Pi Black RAM worked all right with my AMD platform, but this new Sniper series RAM is a bit more finicky.

Specs:
    - AMD Phenom X4 955 BE (rev. RB-C3)
    - Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 (rev 2.0 w/ latest BIOS)
    - G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR (Sniper DDR3-1600 8GB, 9-9-9-24)

I simply cannot get the RAM to run at spec. Right now, the motherboard is automatically setting it at 1600MHz with CL 11, but that is not acceptable.
    I followed the instructions in this sticky, but I was still not able to get it working.

Has anyone had any luck with this RAM in a similar configuration?

Thanks in advance!

Did you test one module at a time? You should have no problems.

DDR3-1333 8-8-8-24 1.50V are fail-proof settings, so you can try that to see if there may be a problem with the memory kit.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I tried DDR3-1333 8-8-8-24, 1.5V, and that also failed to boot.
      Where does this leave me? Is this a defective kit, or an unsupported setup?

Comment

Do you have the latest BIOS? What is your CPU/NB voltage set at? Have you tested each stick with Memtest to ensure you didn't get a bad stick

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Hi, Tradesman!

BIOS is the latest revision, as noted in the OP.

CPU/NB voltage is set normally, because I shouldn't have to modify my voltages to get a component to run at specification, IMO.

I ran Memtest86+ on them, and they passed, which is what confused me more.
          At the time, they were running at what the mobo set them for: DDR3-1600, CL 11.

Comment

The 955 C should be able to run 1600, do you have CPU host frequency at 240? That should set DRAM freq to 1600, then manually set the base timings 9-9-9-24, DRAM Voltage to 1.55 and ensure CR (Command Rate at 2N). Still may need to raise CPU/NB voltage some as AMD CPUs have a relatively weak MC (Memory Controller)

There's a sticky, that addresses AMD and 1600 DRAM that might add further:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=7688

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Tradesman.
              As I said in the OP, I referred to that sticky and followed all of the directions there, but to no avail. I also tried the failsafe settings there, which also didn't work. Because of that, I'll just RMA these sticks, and post back in here if I have issues with the next kit.

Thanks again for the help, everyone.

Comment

Let us know how it goes

Tman

Comment

Working...
                X