No announcement yet.

Bios config. Guide - perhaps another ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bios config. Guide - perhaps another ??

Greetings all
    Just completed my viewing of your posted "DDR3 BIOS CONFIGURATION GUIDES" - couldn't help but notice your collection includes but one (1) EVGA board (not mine -
    EVGA P67 SLI). CPU = I7 2600k, BIOS: 675.1.18/07-01-11, GPU:EVGA GTX 570 w/fact OC, driver NVIDIA 275.33, OS:Win7 64 Pro, NOT OC'd - yet
    As I'm presently awaiting delivery from Newegg of an upgraded (from a non matching 2x (2x4) GS 1600) "kit" of GS F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL, would it be possible to get a few related configuration specs for the new RAM ? - or should I just manually set speed to 1866,
    DIMM voltage to 1.5v, and turn over to/rely on XMP to take loving care of the remainder??
    That's about all I'm capable of doing anyway - if you catch my drift.
    Thanks much
    Der Ack
    Last edited by DerAck; 07-15-2011, 07:02 AM.

All the newer motherboards can work with just the XMP Profile enabled. You don't even need to set frequency and voltage, XMP automatically does that for you.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Gskill ripojaws x DDR3 1866 will not run on Asus Crosshairs V

I bought this memory through Newegg a month ago for my new Crosshairs V motherboard form Asus. I am using the ocp profile of 1872 mhz 9-10-9-28 profile and the board will not boot properly. I can only run it stably at 1600 mhz. Why is your memeory deficient. I have 16 MB of the 1866 Ripjaws X memory on my motherboard.

Comment

What CPU are you running? What speed, what is your CPU/NB voltage?

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

SPD configuration file will not load

I am running and AMD 990FX motherboard ASUS Crosshairs V with 3.2 GHZ AMD Phenom 2
          4 core 955 processor. I am not overclocking the cpu. Just trying to get the rated speed for the memory which is 1866 mhz. The spd profile which I am loading is 9-10-9-32 I believe. In any case I am not n amatr=eur. I know the routine and it is not loading. I can only run the board stabily at 1600 mhz .

Comment

Gskill ripojaws x DDR3 1866 will not run on Asus Crosshairs V

I should NOT have to raise the voltage to load this profile for either cpu, northbridge , nor the memory and I refuse to do so.

Comment

If you want to run 1866 on a CPU rated to 1333, adjustments will be required

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Adjustments will be required?

What kind of adjustments? You are saying I can only get the memory to run at 1866 by upping cpu voltage as well as loading the profile? Then forget it. Why in hell would I want to reduce the life of my cpu and cause potential system instability? I'll wait for bulldozer and then if the memory doesn't run at 1866 heads will roll.

Comment

Only an amateur would think that no adjustments are needed on an AMD board running 16GB of 1866 memory.
                  I'm running 2x4GB 1866 RipjawsX at 2000MHz, so yes, it can be done on the Crosshair V.
                  But the only way I could do this was by, guess what? MAKING ADJUSTMENTS.

Thinking BD will be any different is pure specualtion and pinning hope on the unknown.

If you want some help, by all means ask for it, but don't come off as some big shot know it all.
                  Last edited by NemesisChild; 07-18-2011, 05:18 PM.
                  AMD Phenom II X6 1090T@ 4.2GHz
                  Corsair H50 Hydro (push/pull intake fans)
                  ASUS Crosshair V Formula
                  2x4GB G.Skill RipjawsX@ 1975MHz, 9-10-9-28 (2T)
                  SLI: 2x EVGA GTX 570's@ 902/1804/2032
                  Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
                  Corsair HX850W Modular
                  Cooler Master HAF 922 (200mm side fan)
                  2x Win 7 Home Premium (x64)

Comment

I've heard Bulldozer is suppose to support up to 1866, though I haven't heard for sure if that will be native or will require an OC. AMD is still holding back a fair amount of info.

Tman

Comment

And btw, if you have the C2 Revision/Stepping 955, forget about running 16GB, it won't happen.
                      AMD Phenom II X6 1090T@ 4.2GHz
                      Corsair H50 Hydro (push/pull intake fans)
                      ASUS Crosshair V Formula
                      2x4GB G.Skill RipjawsX@ 1975MHz, 9-10-9-28 (2T)
                      SLI: 2x EVGA GTX 570's@ 902/1804/2032
                      Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
                      Corsair HX850W Modular
                      Cooler Master HAF 922 (200mm side fan)
                      2x Win 7 Home Premium (x64)

Comment

os2wiz accidentally emailed me, his response is:

"Spell out adjustments. If you mean raising voltages, that is unacceptable. I have seen modest improvements in memory bandwidth and cpu output without raising voltages. These cpus are NOT designed to live long nor is the memory if voltages are raised in any significant way."
                        __________________________________________________ _________________

In response to above, that's false. Any increase in frequency will require more voltage. You can have a CPU that's 3.2GHz / 3.4GHz TURBO BOOST. Even that TURBO BOOST will require slightly more voltage especially under load. So let's say default is 1.25V 3.2GHz, 1.27V 3.4GHz. A moderate improvement in CPU output would be 3.8GHz-4.0GHz. This will surely require 1.30V+. Some motherboards can support it with "AUTO" setting, but it does not mean the voltage is not higher. Of course at a certain point the motherboard will not support it, so you will need to manually set the CPU VCore. At that point, you will notice that CPU VCore is much higher than default 1.25V.

Addition, CPUs can last long and are designed to last long as long as you keep them within temperature range. This is how we are able to achieve 5.0GHz+ without completely turning a chip BLACK. Below zero dry ice is used to keep the chip cool, or in less extreme conditions, some type of water cooling. Your hardware can last long with high voltages, you just need to know how. Of course if you overclock and use high voltages and allow the hardware to over heat all the time, it will degrade and not live a long time. We also do the same thing for memory, that's how we are able to achieve DDR3-3000+

Now to clarify/explain some more things...

If you don't want to adjust voltages, timings, etc. etc. then you stick to what AMD recommends.

DDR3-1066 CL7 or DDR3-1333 CL9 (standard memory)

ANY memory above this will require manual settings, especially for AMD. There is no profile that will allow these to just work. Only Intel has that capability, XMP (Extreme Memory Profile). So for those that don't want tweaking but still want performance, Intel is the way to go as it is easier to set up.

AMD users on the other hand, must manually configure settings even for DDR3-1600. That is the reason why we have a thread dedicated specifically. It is not even as simple as setting DRAM Frequency to DDR3-1600, you must overclock the CPU as well just for DDR3-1600.

Now, raising voltages will not harm your hardware. They key is to keep it as cool as possible, that's why there are so many cooling products, but that is for advanced overclocking. For basic overclocking like setting DDR3-1600 and raising voltages +0.1V, that's no problem for stock cooling. We are against any action that could directly cause damage, so we surely would not suggest such a thing. Rest assured that our suggestions are safe and will not fry your computer.

To end, many people operate their computer at very high voltages for many years. 4.60GHz, DDR3-2300, but with good cooling; the computer will last until you need to purchase another one. Over volting and over heating can cause damage, but if done correctly, there is no harm. Again, this is advanced overclocking I am speaking of, so a barely overclocked or over volted system will be just fine.

Nemesis,

It's ok. People come from different angles, so sometimes you just have to fill them in.

Thank you
                        GSKILL TECH
                        Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 07-19-2011, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X