Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, need help to find problem with computer

Hey

I have recently bought all the necessary pc components for a buld. I got the Asus M5A97 Evo, Phenom II X6 1090T and a pair of G.Skill ram ( F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL). When I started testing my motherboard, my cpu, my ram and my video card, the led on the motherboard that signaled a problem with the ram stayed on. So now I am trying to find out what is the problem. When I started the motherboard up, all the led that were supposed to blink blinked and all of the fans started up. Which brings me to question some things because I started a thread on the forum and a technician told me everything should be good. But unfortunatly that's not what happened and now I need to know if I have to send back the ram to newegg, if the ram isn't compatible or if the motherboard is malfunctionning.

Thank you for responding
    (P.S. It's my first build so please explain thoroughly)

The memory should POST without a problem. Test one module at a time to see if one works, and the other does not. If both do not work, it is possible the motherboars is bad. If you have other DDR3 memory, you can test and find out.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

I have a similar setup using the same board and RAM, but with a Phenom II X4 945. And I have the same problem...and a workaround.
      When changing settings in BIOS or issuing a hardware reset the system will not POST claiming that there is a memory error.
      When I then turn the system off and unplug the power cable / switch the power supply off, wait a minute, then turn everything back on, the system starts fine with the exception that I get a warning that "overclocking failed". I am using the default BIOS settings, so that claim is totally bogus. After pressing F1 and immediately leaving BIOS the system boots up fine and is impressively stable and fast.
      That leads me to believe that there is something wrong with the BIOS. Many other M5A97 users report the same issue. It has nothing to do with G.Skill memory, because I first had Crucial memory modules and it had the same problem. I eventually exchanged those for the G.Skill, which are on the QVL.

I recommend using the workaround assuming it works for you as well and never turn the system off unless for Patch Tuesday. The power saving mode under W7 works perfectly fine and the system snaps out of it within a second or two. I recommend writing to Asus and complain, they really should put a BIOS update out that fixes this issue.

Comment

Thanks for that information. You just saved many headaches.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
        X