RAM x2 2GB or x2 4GB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM x2 2GB or x2 4GB?

Hey all! First post, been reading a LOT about RAM selections for a build I'm near ready to purchase. I wanted to come to you guys though and ask about a RAM selection.

I will have these components:
    ASUS p8z68-V PRO
    Intel i5 2500k
    Windows 7 Home Premium - 64BIT

What I was wondering was the options between these two sets of memory:
    1: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 - $54.99
    2: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 - $104.99
    3: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - $99.99

I looked over the difference between 1333 and 1600, by looking into scaling results and found very little to be the case. The big question is what would work best when eventually getting x4 sticks. Would it be better to have 16GB or 8GB (Basically I'm wondering will 16GB just be overkill and I should be looking at the 2GB sticks; Will x2 4GB sticks perform better in Dual Channel versus x4 2GB sticks on the board mentioned)

The system will be none other then used for Gaming, Encoding some minor Videos, minor Photo editing, and of course Facebook (Ya know, Facebook, the huge RAM hog ) Any advice would be appreciated! After reading a lot of reviews I feel G.SKILL is actually one of the better products for value, so here I am. Had never heard of you guys until I started putting my build together =).

Less sticks/higher capacity provides less strain to the MC and provides for max expansion so going 2x4GB would be the place to start....As to the max amount of DRAM it all depends on what you do or how your going to run your system, 16GB in a standard box may be overkill for most but give thought to taking 4GB or so and creating a RAM drive and loading apps data from there (ex: I have two of the Sniper SSDs in RAID 0 (very fast) but loading apps and data files from a RAM drive is even faster). Another plus, the encoding and photo editing will go better w/ 16GB.

If not in a real big rush keep an eye out at the Egg on the daily deals and such, know I just ordered 16GB of the Sniper 1600 sticks and the day they arrived the 1866 sets of same went on sale for about $10 less, so ordered them on the spot

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
      Less sticks/higher capacity provides less strain to the MC and provides for max expansion so going 2x4GB would be the place to start....As to the max amount of DRAM it all depends on what you do or how your going to run your system, 16GB in a standard box may be overkill for most but give thought to taking 4GB or so and creating a RAM drive and loading apps data from there (ex: I have two of the Sniper SSDs in RAID 0 (very fast) but loading apps and data files from a RAM drive is even faster). Another plus, the encoding and photo editing will go better w/ 16GB.

If not in a real big rush keep an eye out at the Egg on the daily deals and such, know I just ordered 16GB of the Sniper 1600 sticks and the day they arrived the 1866 sets of same went on sale for about $10 less, so ordered them on the spot
      Thank you very much. G.Skill had an Egg deal today so I pounced for x2 4GB sticks =) for $20 cheaper then the $99 I was looking at earlier. Can't wait for the parts to my system to see how these work!

Comment

Glad to hear it, for me they always seem to go on sale.....after........ I buy something else. Let us know how it goes

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working great! Though I've only had them in for a couple days now I can say that during game play and other resource heavy applications they're helping a lot! I'm quite pleased I got 8GB. I've hit above 4GB a few times but not near 8GB

Very pleased =) Thanks for all the info!

Comment

Fantastic! Glad to hear it!, What did you end up going w/? Snipers? Ripjaws, RipjawX?

Tman

Comment

I went for these:

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM

=)

Comment

Good sticks, think you'll be happy with them

Tman

Comment

Working...
                X