Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Configuration questions. Memory mixing, timings, voltages

Hey Guys,

Read the Stickied: ?AMD CPU + G.Skill DDR3-1600? post and didn?t see my combination issue covered so I am posting this looking for a little advice on what would be the best set up for the memory I have to get it running stable and at peak performance, if it was covered and I missed it, sorry, just direct me to that post, anyway. I have had the following rig for a bit over six months and everything is running quite well, the other day i ordered some additional memory for the rig and was wondering what setup (timing, voltage, etc..) would help me get a stable running setup with the best performance. The original 2 gig sticks (F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM) did work with my system but I had to manually adjust the timings ( 8-8-8-24 ) and keep the voltage at 1.65 to work with my board. The new 4 gig sticks I bought (received them today: F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL ) to add (not replace) to my set are stock to run at 9-9-9-24 timing and at 1.5 volts. I was wondering what I should do. Keep manually setting the timings on the originals, manual set them both, change the volts on them both (can?t adjust voltage individually on my board), set everything at auto, etc.... looking for some advice on this, here is what I am working with below.

Original Items:

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM
    New Egg Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231303

ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard
    New Egg Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131402

New Memory:

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
    New Egg Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231428

That sticky does apply to you. That is the information you need to follow to configure memory properly.

But, you have a real problem now. The two kits will not be compatible, so you need to use one or the other, input the correct settings, and the system should be fine. Attempting two different kits of different capacity will literally have no possibility.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thank you for the prompt reply. I figured as much.

If I do acuire another set of 4gih sticks (or the 2 for that matter) I should be good to go right. Even though this memory needs tweaking to work on and boards I'd the 4 total sticks are matched (same model, cas, speed and voltage ) I would be fine then correct?

Comment

No, not necessarily, that's what I mean. Two kits may not work well together, which is why we suggest a 16GB kit* if you need 16GB, not two 8GB kits.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
        X