Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

P8P67 and F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL (Problems solved)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P8P67 and F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL (Problems solved)

Hello all. Just want to document the roller-coaster ride I went through over the weekend and the eventual solution so that someone else might avoid my pain:

Did my first major computer upgrade in 6 years. Purchased an Asus P8P67, i7 2600K, Radeon 6950 and a 16 GB kit (F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL). Got an excellent deal on the memory from a Newegg Shell Shocker special @ $150.00 shipped.

After swapping out the old motherboard, RAM etc ... and putting it all together, I was very upset that initially the thing wouldn't turn on at all. The alarming red LED for the memory on the P8P67 was glaring at me. I pulled out and reset each module of RAM and this time it booted. Very strange as I applied a ton of force putting them in the first time and am almost 100% positive they were properly seated.

Now that the system booted I installed a clean copy of Win7-x64 w/ SP1 integrated. So far so good. Start restoring software and boom, the system shuts off abruptly. It's late at this point so I boot off the memtest86+ 4.2 disc and go to bed. When I check on it in the morning I can see it barely made it 5 minutes into the scan. I try each module individually in slot A2 and they all seem to pass. As soon as I plug more than one in, it fails. I call Asus support and they tell me the memory is incompatible (wrong). I check the GSkill web site and the memory is definitely qualified for the P8P67. I suspect the memory is bad in some way that is only realized when more than one stick is installed. I also suspect that maybe there is something wrong with the motherboard. I contemplate returning either the memory or the mobo or both but I haven't decided the order yet. I'm pissed because I don't have time to deal with this crap...

That's when I notice a post on the forums here about enabling XMP in the BIOS. Well, guess what ... as soon as I enabled XMP for the RAM in the P8P67's eUFI BIOS the RAM worked perfectly! Survived a full night of memtest86+ with zero errors. Not a single sign of instability since then.

Bottom line, if using P8P67 and F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL, enable XMP in the BIOS. It is not enabled by default.

Hope this helps someone.

haha nice! It was becoming a sad story, then there was a good ending. Glad to hear, thanks for posting your experience.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
    X